Do you have a spare £1499 ?

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Deaf Cat
Grayling

Do you have a spare £1499 ?

Post by Deaf Cat »

A Richard Walker owned B James MkIV on the market.

https://www.thomasturner.com/shop/b-jam ... om-family/
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Re: Do you have a spare £1499 ?

Post by NorfolkTinca »

As a long term investment, that's very tempting. However, an investment requires some intent to sell it again, and that would be the flaw in my plan. I'd also be concerned whether it's already at peak value; give it another 20 years, will the name of Walker be as revered as it is today?

As a rod to use, on the other hand, I'm not sure that I would dare, or even deserve to.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

NorfolkTinca wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:04 pm As a long term investment, that's very tempting. However, an investment requires some intent to sell it again, and that would be the flaw in my plan. I'd also be concerned whether it's already at peak value; give it another 20 years, will the name of Walker be as revered as it is today?

As a rod to use, on the other hand, I'm not sure that I would dare, or even deserve to.
Can't fall out with any of that although, to use the rod would bring immense pleasure.... it's just whether you'd get fifteen hundred pound's worth.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Its only money. ( but not mine )

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Deaf Cat wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:41 pm A Richard Walker owned B James MkIV on the market.

https://www.thomasturner.com/shop/b-jam ... om-family/
Quite a few new build rods are around this price or indeed more, if I were in the market for a rod right now and had money burning a hole in my pocket, that rod would be on the bank with me. I should go to sleep before I start dreaming. :Thumb:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I have to say, given the prices I’ve seen items owned by other famous anglers go for and the price of some brand new cane rods, that price actually sounds very reasonable. However, I don’t target carp often and I insist with myself that I use all of my rods and reels at least once a year!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I would have liked at least a signature, and having the knowledge Walker had actually used the rod - however I think the price reflects the fact this may not be the case. As already mentioned as a Walker possession albeit with the possibility of a brief period in his acquaintance it seems to represent good value.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I have a lot of respect for what Dick Walker achieved and how in particular he raised the national interest with his 44lb Carp! I think that this rod represents good value as it looks little used!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lea Dweller wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:26 pm I have a lot of respect for what Dick Walker achieved and how in particular he raised the national interest with his 44lb Carp! I think that this rod represents good value as it looks little used!
I’m becoming increasingly concerned that, without ever realising it, Dick Walker cut the first turf in the grave of angling.

OK, so this week moronic carp obsessives with not one scintilla of angling craft have been driving me to distraction whilst I have been trying to enjoy a week of quiet angling for anything but mud pigs!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Duckett wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:57 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:26 pm I have a lot of respect for what Dick Walker achieved and how in particular he raised the national interest with his 44lb Carp! I think that this rod represents good value as it looks little used!
I’m becoming increasingly concerned that, without ever realising it, Dick Walker cut the first turf in the grave of angling.

OK, so this week moronic carp obsessives with not one scintilla of angling craft have been driving me to distraction whilst I have been trying to enjoy a week of quiet angling for anything but mud pigs!

Phil
I agree with some of what you say, but I think that Dick Walker inspired a generation of carp anglers that advanced the pursuit of carp. They experimented as he did with baits, presentation and rigs, Some of these later carp anglers became icons themselves, but the spin off has been many fisheries heavily stocked with carp, with anglers with not much idea but masses of tackle!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Dick Walker”