Richard Walker Clarissa Reel?

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Richard Walker Clarissa Reel?

Post by Nobby »

It's a 'third' version as it has a 'butterfly / boomerang' anti-reverse lever. Being a '52 reel it would have 'level-wind' gearing which impressed Dick so much he had no worries about the line bedding in, which he wrote in a letter included in Drop Me A Line, a record of the exchanges between Dick and the other carp anglers of the day. Strangely, the rest of the world did worry and persuaded Mitchell to come up with 'cross-wind' gearing in 1953. Though in truth it was still more 'level' than any other reel on the market

I was worried that it would be restored to something close to original condition and I think Chris considered this for some time. I was very much against the idea. Those marks are history.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Thanks Nobby. You are a font of all knowledge. :Hat:

I have seen various discussions about oscillation over the years. It seems to keep some people awake at night worrying about it. :Hahaha:

I have a third version half-bail and another reel made a few years later that has the 'cross-wind' gearing and that is a lot smoother to wind. I don't notice any difference in line bedding in, but the later reel feels like a different animal and is a lot smoother than a much later '300' reel I bought new around 1972.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

There is well seen photograph of Mr Walker working on one of his big centrepins and amongst the clutter on the bench can be seen the handle and back end of a Mitchell . Do you think it could be "The One"?
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It might be, or it might be the reel Angling Times presented him with in 1953 following the Walker-Sails Match. I just can't tell.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Nobby wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:06 am It's a 'third' version as it has a 'butterfly / boomerang' anti-reverse lever. Being a '52 reel it would have 'level-wind' gearing which impressed Dick so much he had no worries about the line bedding in, which he wrote in a letter included in Drop Me A Line, a record of the exchanges between Dick and the other carp anglers of the day. Strangely, the rest of the world did worry and persuaded Mitchell to come up with 'cross-wind' gearing in 1953. Though in truth it was still more 'level' than any other reel on the market

I was worried that it would be restored to something close to original condition and I think Chris considered this for some time. I was very much against the idea. Those marks are history.
I was just wondering if anyone has any evidence to suggest when mr Walker aquired the Clarissa /Ravioli reel ? I'm not as well read as some of you chaps and was curious if he wrote about exactly when he aquired the reel and possibly the circumstances behind it ? Bought new etc ?

Return to “Dick Walker”