Marking the centenary of Dick Walker's birth

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Stathamender
Tench

Marking the centenary of Dick Walker's birth

Post by Stathamender »

Some of you may remember that a while back I posted on TFF about possible ways to mark the centenary in 2018.

Earlier this year, having decided that it was time to do something a bit more serious, I took the matter up with the new chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Angling (Charles Walker - no relation I presume - and MP, fittingly, for Broxbourne). Rather than excerpt the correspondence to date in this post I'll post it separately later. Details of the APPG are here: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... ngling.htm.

Two specific ideas emerged from our discussions: a Royal Mail stamp or using the famous photo of RW and Ravioli/Clarissa on the 2018-19 coarse and non-migratory fishing licence. CW contacted the Environment Agency, forwarding my letter, and also put down a PQ about the latter (see: http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... -24/17525/) and we have had very positive replies from both the Deputy Director of Fisheries at EA and the Minister of State at DEFRA. I've also heard from Grinner that the Daily Mail have since contacted him about running a story on this. I think we may well have a winner here.

While the wide exposure and national recognition of a stamp appeals to me, it certainly seems that the licence idea would be seen as more appropriate and, given the responses, the more likely to be achieveable, the EA say they will make a decision on the illustration in 2017 but I think we should try to make them commit in advance before then. This would also make sense given that they also need to manage the existing contract for licence illustrations.

Success in achieving either of these will depend, however, on launching a co-ordinated broadly based campaign in the fairly near future, perhaps in the early New Year, targeting the EA and/or Royal Mail and which will build momentum fairly rapidly. I'm doing some thinking about this and I'm going to post in more detail about how we might do it later this week on TFF.

In the meantime I'd be interested in your comments.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Marking the centenary of Dick Walker's birth

Post by RBTraditional »

An excellent idea and I both support your quest and wish you good luck. However, when these ideas are brought to the fore, my thoughts turn to Bernard Venables and all that he achieved for the good of angling, I know he was awarded the MBE, but surely we should be looking for an appropriate lasting memorial to this giant of the angling world?
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Well done Stathamender, very fitting ideas

Mike

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Both great ideas!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

You've got my support Sir :Hat:

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Two excellent ideas in my opinion. The Stamp might prompt sone wider interest outside of angling - good and less so - the Licence concept perhaps a more intimate acknowledgement and commemoration from those of us more like minded ? I applaud your effort and initiative.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Yes, it would be great to see a fitting tribute to Richard Walker coupled with an opportunity to promote the very best of angling history to the widest audience. It occurred to me just then that a documentary about RW would make a great TV programme as well.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Good idea! I do like the postage stamp idea more as it is in general circulation. The licence idea, whilst wholly appropriate is rather limited to our 'little circle'.

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Wayne Cryer of Little Egret Press is at work putting together a book commemorating Dick Walker's Centenary on Oak Apple Day 29th May 1918 which I am proud to be helping with, all profits to Crossroad Care, Army Benevolent Fund and British Legion, the plan for the launch date is Redditch Tackle Fair in November 2018

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

can't see why we can't have a stamp and licence card

Return to “Dick Walker”