Re: River Stort

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I know the Stort fairly well, particularly as I was a volunteer lock keeper for the CRT at Burnt Mill lock, and used to be responsible for the stretch between Latton lock and Parndon Mill lock. I liked to fish the Stort just under the bridge where the A414 crosses the river, just down from Burnt Mill lock There is a bend there, which has a deepish hole right on the bend. I have had some very nice perch and roach out of there on maggots, and the worlds smallest pike (about 6" long), which I mistook for a leaf. I am told that the occasional big tench turns up in the swim also, but I have not had the luck myself. There are supposed to be bream shoals in the backwater by the outdoor centre which backs onto the river about 100 yards upstream. Must check this out.

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Woo-hoo - have just been promoted to minnow!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I just read some posts regarding the Lea, The Stort etc, together with comments about "Mole", Maurice Pledger. I must confess that I had not known of this gentleman up until now, but if he lives in Hoddesdon and wears a distinctive hat, I may have met him unknowingly! I belong to Ware A.C, so I have access to a stretch of the Stort that runs alongside part of the A414 to Harlow. I have fished it a couple of times with limited success, some smallish roach and a bonus tench. It does evidently throw up some good catches from time to time, bream are in elusive shoals! Like many waters, it needs time spent to explore and find out what will work. It would seem that there are a number of members that know or live within easy access of Hoddesdon. A new pub "The Star" has just opened in the high street, having been extended and renovated by J.D.Wetherspoon. During the refurbishment some wall paintings over 500 years old were revealed and are now on show behind glass panels! Would any TFF members be interested in meeting up for an inexpensive drink and a chat before it becomes jam packed when the warmer weather comes? Does anyone know if "Mole" is likely to be interested in coming along? Luckily as I have a senior's bus pass and live in Stanstead Abbotts, I can stay and have several pints! If anyone is interested please let me know.
p.s As I have just bought copies of his two fishing books perhaps Maurice will come and sign them for me if I buy him a pint or two? A cheeky but genuine offer!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I live in Buntingford, and know Stanstead Abbotts well, although I tend to use the Jolly Fisherman which is by the river, but am open to suggestions. I asked for the Maurice Pledger books as part of my Christmas wish list, but my family bought other stuff instead. I have 4 fishing prints of his, which my sister bought me some years ago - she knows him through her membership of Hoddesdon Tennis club.

Would be very happy to have a pint, and talk about fishing, particularly whilst the weather precludes me from actually going

Regards

David Edwards (Corneybury)

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Hello Corneybury (David), It is a small world! As you mentioned that you use the Jolly Fisherman, I presume you moor nearby? If so, you have probably moored within yards of where I live. I have posted pictures recently on this site of the views up the river to the lock from my upstairs window, together with a nice trout which I caught on maggot. The reason that I mentioned The Star in Hoddesdon is because it is a really old pub, recently renovated to a very good standard and inexpensive! Also, if Maurice Pledger could be contacted and was in agreement, he would not have far to walk as he lives in Hoddesdon. If your sister knows him sufficiently well, perhaps she could make him aware of my wish to meet him and we could meet either at the Star or here at The Jolly Fisherman. We would have a great deal to talk about, also when the two fishing books of Maurice's arrive, it would be lovely to get them signed at the same time. I wish you all a belated Happy New Year!
Confucius

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I will enquire about Maurice Pledger, but I think he is a friend of a friend of a friend at the tennis club, so the connection is pretty tenuous. Is he a member of TFF?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That is good of you Corneybury, if he is in agreement to meet it would be great. He is obviously steeped in traditional fishing ways and methods, as his books would suggest. When I get the two books of his that I have ordered, perhaps we can pursue the possibility of meeting him? If you find out anything please let me know.
Confucius

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

The Stort is where I first encounted the crayfish,it was full of them,prob,why there is some big chub in there,but because it is out of the way it has been visited by some of our friends,(the ones that don't put anything back!)

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Hi Lea Dweller, I now have Maurice's phone number, but am reluctant to ring him cold as he doesn't know me, but if you give me your e mail address I will send it to you if you want to contact him.

In the meantime I have sent this to his son, who has a website featuring his dad's art

"Hi Douggy

You won't know me, but I am a fan of your dads fishing art and have 4 of his
prints which my sister bought for me having a contact with him through
Hoddesdon Tennis Club.

For my sins, like him, I am also an angler, and a member of the Traditional
Fishermans Forum (traditionalfisherman.com), where his name has been
mentioned several times in connection with fishing the Lee and the Stort.

Indeed, one of my fellow TFF members has asked me if I could contact
Maurice, with a view to a pint somewhere convenient, to tap his local
fishing knowledge.

I don't know whether your dad is on e mail, but if you could pass this
message along, I would be grateful."

I think this is a less intrusive way of contacting him, and if I get a reply, I will get back to you

Regards

David

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Hi Lea Dweller, I now have Maurice Pledger's (goes by the name of Mole), e mail address, contact me at David.edwards8@btinternet.com and I will send it to you. If you then want to set up a meet (to which I think he is receptive), I will endeavour to come along

Return to “Other Rivers”