Ravensbourne River

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Bigoll
Silver Bream

Ravensbourne River

Post by Bigoll »

The Ravensbourne rises in Keston, near Hayes, and flows north-west via Lewisham into the Thames at Deptford Creek. Until recently it was just a river I'd vaguely heard about, but now I realise that it flows within walking distance of my friend's new lodgings in Hither Green.

Google presents a mixed story of a polluted history and a rejuventated present, with stories of large chub and roach even within Lewisham. Access is intermittent as you'd expect in such a built-up area, but I like the look of the stretch through Ladywell Fields and will make the effort to take a look next time I get a chance. In the meantime, I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen (or ladies!) had any experience of the Ravensbourne, either past or present, so as to furnish my own limited knowledge.

Boeddy

Re: Ravensbourne River

Post by Boeddy »

You'll be referring to one of London's trout streams! Ok that was hundred and fifty or more years ago, though there were tales of trout in lower stretch at Deptford Creek more recently (sea or slob trout?) Anyway a couple of years ago I had a very quick session in Ladywell Fields: only small dace caught but chub of 2-3 lb seen. As I say it was only a brief dangle but I've always meant to go back for further exploration; it's mostly very shallow so look for deeper runs, some of these I remember entering a fenced area with an unlocked gate. There has been some naturalising of the river but some of it is still contained within 15 feet vertical concrete. Definately worth a go I'd say and your post has reminded me to pop along there again.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Well, bless my soul, I never knew there were fish in that stretch of water. When I was at GEC Elliotts of Lewisham that river ran near the factory although the base and walls were of concrete ( a bit like the bike chase shot in that Terminator film), we always knew it as the Quaggy/kwaggy? back then. I look forward to hearing more about fish caught in this river as even when I worked at Catford and visited Downham etc I never knew about the fish. I have an early pontiled wine bottle that was found in the mud down near Deptford creek..maybe tossed aside by some old fisherman all those years ago. :roll:

Hannay
Perch

Post by Hannay »

Reedling wrote:Well, bless my soul, I never knew there were fish in that stretch of water. When I was at GEC Elliotts of Lewisham that river ran near the factory although the base and walls were of concrete ( a bit like the bike chase shot in that Terminator film), we always knew it as the Quaggy/kwaggy? back then. I look forward to hearing more about fish caught in this river as even when I worked at Catford and visited Downham etc I never knew about the fish. I have an early pontiled wine bottle that was found in the mud down near Deptford creek..maybe tossed aside by some old fisherman all those years ago. :roll:
Reedling, the Quaggy does indeed run through Lewisham and is a tributary of the Ravensbourne River. In all the years that I lived in Lewisham I never ever thought about fishing the Quaggy or Ravensbourne for that matter! 'Tis excellent to know that there are indeed fish in these little off-shoots of the Thames.

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Hmmmm! Very interesting! And not at all far from Base Camp.

Some time in the near future I shall take the big red bus and have a butcher's hook at Ladywell Fields to see if Mr Chub is at home! But Mr Dace on a tiny fly would be fun too.

Boeddy

Post by Boeddy »

Blimey, could Lewisham on the Ravensbourne become the must fish venue? I am off to book my swim now before the hoards arrive! Reedling and Hannay: don't worry about not thinking fish in times past as current population are result of EA stocking a few years ago and piscine population before this probably minimal. Wandler: indeed my thoughts were that a brook rod and light fly tackle could be fun and no need for chest waders!

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Thanks for all your excellent contributions, chaps! It looks like it might be a race to produce the first report from this relatively unknown river. Mind you, it could turn out to be like Cripsey Brook in Ongar which, after a lot of hype in the build-up, turned out to be really rather poor. There are plenty more lesser known London rivers to explore as well: http://www.londonslostrivers.com/index.html

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I must admit the only thing I would expect to find in the Quaggy back then was what we used to call a 'Thames Trout' :Chuckle: ( better known as a condom). I think it is fantastic there are fish in that area and I really hope they thrive and increase. Well done EA :Hat:

PS.. First to catch a fish and file a report, will get a Jamaican patty and a saltfish fritter. Hope I am there first!!

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Just seen this post and it prompted me to take a look at the Ravensbourne in Beckenham Palace Park fairly close to where I live. Its pretty shallow, but there are a few deeper slacks and eddies that may hold a fish or two.

I understand it was stocked a few years ago - so who knows?

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

PerchBasher wrote:Just seen this post and it prompted me to take a look at the Ravensbourne in Beckenham Palace Park fairly close to where I live. Its pretty shallow, but there are a few deeper slacks and eddies that may hold a fish or two.

I understand it was stocked a few years ago - so who knows?
Just seen this , well I be blowed, I was born in Beckenham basically next door to Kelsey park in the maternity hospital which is now long gone, lived in Beckenham / Shirley for over 20 years , known the Ravensbourne around catford n lewisham but never knew there were fish in Beckenham palace park :Hide:

All the best

Stuart

Return to “Other Rivers”