River Cray

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
PerchBasher

River Cray

Post by PerchBasher »

Not the most scenic fishing, nor arguably the best, but never the less, a rare example of a small stream on the outskirts of London where the fishing ahs radically improved over the years. www.londonslostrivers.com/river-cray.html

The Cray rises in Orpington and flows into the Darent, upstream of Dartford. I first fished it as a boy in the late 1960’s and the fishing was poor with only gudgeon and small roach to be had. Over the years, the industries that once lined its banks have now gone, with them the pollution and as one of perhaps the only benefits of the de-industrialisation of Britain, the fishing is better.

I fish it both up and downstream of Crayford and there are roach, dace, chub, perch, and the occasional escapee small carp. Its shallow so free lining or light ledgering are a better option than trotting. It’s not a “stay in one swim all day” type of river so a roving approach with the minimum of tackle is recommended.

The Cray is not an easy river, but if the area, do give it a try. Local angler en route to the gravel pits in the Darent Valley turn their noses up but I’ve had roach to a pound, chub to three pounds and dace to a stonking 7 ounces!

Reedling
Catfish

Re: River Cray

Post by Reedling »

I fished Five arches? (park) up by Footscray and also the front of the old mill in Bexley village until some one told me to mix sex with travel :Hahaha: That is when I was a nipper, even Hall place area had fish back then. I must admit though the Darent is where we always headed for..back of Dartford lakes or between the Sun and Horton Kirby lakes. I was only about 8-11 back then in the sixties. I am really pleased to hear that fish are still in The Cray though as it must have taken some stick from local industry and households over the years. All the best, Reedling. :Hat:

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Our paths may have crossed Reedling as I grew in Bexlyheath (remember Norman Toyes tackleshop?) and fished both Hall Place Gardens and the Five Arches in Footscray Meadows on many occaisions.

Bexley Council (under pressure from the “anti” lobby banned fishing several years ago in Footscray meadows, but I must confess that early on some summer mornings before the park rangers are about, I turn a Nelsonian eye to the notices.

At Hall Place Gardens fishing is no longer allowed in the tended, formal areas, but you can still fish the remainder. The stretch in front of the Old Mill pub in Bexley High street did, and still does hold some very nice fish, but I’ve never had the nerve to fish it!

Like you, we used to fish the Darent as well, in Dartford at Central Park, at the back of Brooklands Lakes or further afield as far down as Farningham, Eynsford and Shoreham, travelling on the bus if we were had the fare, or on our bikes if we didn’t. Happy Days!

Fish wise, I don’t think the Darent has fared as well as the Cray, suffering badly from water abstraction. Many stretches that were waist deep in the late 60’s and early 70’s, are reduced to a trickle in summer with the gravel bed covered in silt.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

I grew up in Bexleyheath as well. I can't say I fished the Cray much but was a frequent visitor to the Darenth for chub, roach, anything that swims. I'm happy to say that 50 odd years later, I still fish the Darenth but now it's fly fishing for trout.

Whilst abstraction will always be a problem, a lot of effort has gone into improving the flow and some pools require chest waders if you're in the river. Following last years rain I've never seen the flow so good.

Pete

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Hello Craycane

Good to hear from another Bexley boy. I assume you fish the Darent Valley Trout Fishers stretches on the Darent (or is it Darenth?) at Eynsford? I’ve looked at these from the road and they certainly look well kept. In the past I have caught trout in the Darent at Horton Kirby and I presume these are escapes rather than indigenous stock?

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Hi PB, yes the DVTF. They have four stretches of river between Farningham and Shoreham. It's debatable whether there are any wild fish but it is a possibility. Both DVTF and Kingfishers (at Lullingstone) stock fish and it's likely that some of these drop down to Horton Kirby. We've done a lot of habitat work, with guidance from the Wild Trout Trust and this is the best way to encourage the trout to stick around.

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Is possible to become a member of Darent Valley Trout Fishers?

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Wandler wrote:Is possible to become a member of Darent Valley Trout Fishers?
It is but in recent years the waiting list has grown to be larger in number than the membership unfortunately. The last I heard there was talk of closing the waiting list temporarily as there is already something like a possible 10 year wait.

Pete

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Are members only replaced when one leaves for any reason?

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Well like many clubs there is a limit on membership numbers. It's only a small club on a small river.

Pete

Return to “Other Rivers”