River Sow, Stafford

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Caractacus Potts
Roach

Re: River Sow, Stafford

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Just going back off topic slightly, but I'm also a PAAS member.I joined them specifically for just one bit of their river stretches which is very near me (8 mins away) but is I think their water which is furthest south from their Macclesfield base. So basically I was on a waiting list for 3 years, paid £100 joining fee, then it's £100 a year.

Is it worth it ? Yes, yes and yes ! A very well run club which dosen't put up with idiots. Yes, there are lots of rules, but sensible ones which don't stop you from enjoying your fishing at all.

And I have the stretch of river virtually to myself during the winter ! :thumb:

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

I put my name down two years ago, won't be to long now!
My neighbour who has fished the best part of sixty years, joined three years ago, and is totally bowled over, he consistently comes back with good reports of wonderful waters and fish,
I came out of sotas , their bit of the sow is nice , especially the weir part,
I understand people's frustrations, to have a favourite venue taken from you, nobody will ever be able to please everyone, I read somewhere paas is the biggest fishing club in Europe, I've seen the "book of waters" it's the first angling club book with maps that actually make sense, and info about the waters is second to none. It's got to be worth the money! A years fishing for the price of a half decent Ariel match, or bait for a French fishing trip?
I used to pay £35 for one local pool so once the joining fee is done and dusted its a bargain in my opinion .

Ps just been past the dove and the churnet, there's swan swimming across the fields!

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote:
I was a member of Izaak Walton some years ago- and rivers like the Sow do look very good- the litter ,poaching and close season ignoring stopoed me joining again- again shame for the club as ever there are a core of hard working people keeping it afloat. For then the "i take some money in case anytone asks me to pay" crowd must be doubly frustrating
So I would be classed as part of that crowd then? It's rare that I fish the particular stretch of water I am thinking of (not mentioning the actual place for reasons given before by others). It states on the signs that day tickets are available at the water's edge. Which is why I take a few pounds in a purse. It has been about 3 decades since anybody came to sell me a day ticket. I am willing to pay but what do I do if nobody turns up with the ticket? Ok, I can deprive myself of a days fishing. Nope, sorry I am simply not that virtuous but I am honest enough to say this. I wonder how many people fish the particular water I am thinking of with absolutely no intention of paying for a day ticket?
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

1972- I had a permit- just not with my name on it!

we all have transgressions in the past

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote:Image

:wink:
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Interesting debate here. If I ever paid a day ticket fee to fish a natural water course I'd want a refund if I didn't catch anything! But as I fish free stretches of river and free ponds, it's not something that bothers me much at the moment. What would bother me is if a previously free water suddenly became member-only and I was effectively banned from my local fishing spots. I don't care if a club has hundreds of waters to make its fee 'good value' - anglers tend not to travel miles and miles to visit many different waters; they are creatures of habit and will fish the nearest or most convenient venues. In my mind, if a venue is artificial and on private land, then fees are fine. If the venue is natural or on public land, there should be a 'right to fish' as there is a right to roam; that is, providing you cause no inconvenience or damage and you respect the environment.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

things have changed since Kinder Scout, whilst I would agree if it was sensible people (like you) - the situation has changed.

Nowadays a significant proportion would include in their "right to fish" the right to kill, cook on the bank and leave the associated tins and litter as a mark of their visit. its hard enough for clubs to control this now, include free access for all and they are rightly going to abandon the water (why should they protect it in this situation?) - next step is a fishing exclusion as the local council etc see the mess its getting into.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Kevanf1 wrote:
Ian.R.McDonald wrote:Image

:wink:
and note the modified Herons and the "specimen" all metal net that weighed about 30 lbs!

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Nowadays a significant proportion would include in their "right to fish" the right to kill, cook on the bank and leave the associated tins and litter as a mark of their visit.
In my neck of the woods (Lincolnshire fens) we have the added problem of intimidation by poachers. No actual violence but if you are pike fishing a spot they want, a car load turns up with their telescopic rods and plugs or spinners. Then they proceed to get on both sides of your swim and cast across your lines. Twice this has happened to me and after their lures snag on your lines a few times you have to pack up and leave. They pretend they don't understand English and obviously don't have tickets or rod licences.
Neither the EA nor the club showed any particular interest.
Last summer, after three of them spent a day's carp fishing, I cleared up 38 empty beer cans from one spot.
I photographed a selection of the cans that were left.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Isis wrote:In my neck of the woods (Lincolnshire fens) we have the added problem of intimidation by poachers. No actual violence but if you are pike fishing a spot they want, a car load turns up with their telescopic rods and plugs or spinners. Then they proceed to get on both sides of your swim and cast across your lines. Twice this has happened to me and after their lures snag on your lines a few times you have to pack up and leave. They pretend they don't understand English and obviously don't have tickets or rod licences.
Neither the EA nor the club showed any particular interest.
Last summer, after three of them spent a day's carp fishing, I cleared up 38 empty beer cans from one spot.
I photographed a selection of the cans that were left.
I generally have certain 'items' in my kit that I could use if things got nasty. I honestly don't know if I could use said 'items' as they have the potential for real harm to another human being. I won't go any further with that other than to say if I did need to use them it would be in self defence. I am not a violent person and never have been, I've had one fight in my whole life. It didn't end well, for the other guy. I had to pulled off by about 3 or 4 others because otherwise I seriously think I would have ended up in jail on a manslaughter charge. In my defence I had been provoked over a number of years (bullied if you wish). It was over 30 years ago and I have managed to avoid any violent scenes since that time. If push came to shove though I can defend myself.

As for rubbish left by other idiots, I simply cannot bring myself to even think of them as anglers... Bag it all up, smash the window (unless it's already open) of whatever car or often van they are using and sling the lot back inside. I know of somebody who has done just this :) I have no time for anybody leaving rubbish behind after they have been fishing as there is simply no reason to do so! It does not matter a jot whether the water is commercial, private or free public water in my mind. It should be left clean and tidy.

Return to “Other Rivers”