River Sow, Stafford

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Scott
Tench

Re: River Sow, Stafford

Post by Scott »

Isis wrote:

Hmmm, there seems to be a bit of a theme running through the beer brands in this picture Isis.... ...you haven't pointed out the obvious but hey, it's there for us all to see.

It has always amazed me how in this country the powers that be (the left) seem hell bent on protecting the traditions and cultures of people from other shores yet do nothing to protect our own...

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Scott wrote:It has always amazed me how in this country the powers that be (the left) seem hell bent on protecting the traditions and cultures of people from other shores yet do nothing to protect our own...
It's amazing the good work that can be done with £30K if it's spent wisely:

http://www.efdss.org/news/newsId/163

The folk community is, by the way, largely left-leaning. I haven't seen much evidence of support coming from the other end of the political spectrum, unless I've missed something lately?

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Davyr wrote:
Scott wrote:It has always amazed me how in this country the powers that be (the left) seem hell bent on protecting the traditions and cultures of people from other shores yet do nothing to protect our own...
It's amazing the good work that can be done with £30K if it's spent wisely:

http://www.efdss.org/news/newsId/163

The folk community is, by the way, largely left-leaning. I haven't seen much evidence of support coming from the other end of the political spectrum, unless I've missed something lately?
Good point Davyr.
I'm pretty sure the folk community wouldn't accept support from the right being as you say 'largely left wing', what with 'folk against fascism' and other such nonsense...

I guess what I'm trying to say with my last post is when are we going to stop pussy footing around and get to grips with these east europeans coming to Britain and riding rough shot all over our angling heritage, traditions and costoms?

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Scott wrote: I'm pretty sure the folk community wouldn't accept support from the right being as you say 'largely left wing', what with 'folk against fascism' and other such nonsense...
When you've got idiots like Nick Griffin trying to nail his colours to the "traditional English" mast, you have to be thankful he claimed to be a fan of someone as eloquent as Eliza Carthy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... folk-music

As for Eastern Europeans and their fish-taking-and-eating habits, the only hope that I can see is for there to be a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU (and then for the government to act on the probable result).

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Sadly, the current law allows anyone to take up to 17 fish per day from the nation's rivers so, depending on the size the eastern Europeans are taking, they're within their rights: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... 19393.aspx

Of course, most will take fish outside of the permitted sizes, but who is going to police it? Perhaps some citizen's arrests should be made, though I suspect the police wouldn't give a stuff about coming to pick them up. A £10,000 fine and confiscation of all angling equipment should be a standard penalty for those caught breaking the law.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Bigoll wrote:Sadly, the current law allows anyone to take up to 17 fish per day from the nation's rivers so, depending on the size the eastern Europeans are taking, they're within their rights
But how many have permission to do so, if they're not fishing free (usually town) stretches of rivers? This from your EA link:

"Please remember that you will still need the written permission of the owner or club to remove fish from privately owned waters"

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

We currently have an ongoing problem with Eastern Europeans poaching fish from one of our club waters. We do have proof that the culprits are Eastern European by the way. They are taking (predominantly) carp from a specific water. The water and the fish held within it are the property of our club, its members. They are partly owned by me. When these poachers take the fish they are actually committing a criminal act of theft. I presume that with fish in rivers being somewhat migratory in their habit they could not be classed as property by the controlling body? I know that we own certain sections of river as opposed to leasing them; we are the landowners.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

It's an 'easier' case to handle if it is dealt with as theft. It is purely stealing somebody else's property, in this case our fish. I stand to be corrected of course but I presume most home grown poaching would be of trout, salmon and eels (mentioned in another thread). Generally speaking, with my utmost apologies for generalising, when it is Eastern Europeans who are illegally fishing there are a host of offences in play. No current EA rod license, no permit to fish said water, stealing of property, trespass (difficult one to prosecute), criminal damage. There can also sometimes be issues such as illegal use of nets without a license, leaving a baited line unattended. Then of course there is the possibility of motoring offences.....

Now, who mentioned getting out of the EU ;)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Apologies Davyr and co - you're quite right on the permission front. I was talking from the perspective of my own favoured stretches of river which are free to fish, though I'd imagine in some way it actually 'belongs' to the local council, so perhaps the same rule applies.

Return to “Other Rivers”