River Perry, Shropshire

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Duckett
Tench

River Perry, Shropshire

Post by Duckett »

Does anyone have any experience of fishing the small River Perry in Shropshire? Helen and I are visiting the area in December for a few days and the landowner has kindly given us permission to wet a line. The stretch is north of Ruyton-XI-Towns.

He’s not an angler, so information is scant! From the few references I’ve found on line, it seems generally to be shallow and narrow over its 25 miles but seems to be home to Grayling, Trout, Dace, Roach and Chublets plus some of the micro species.

It seems like a good opportunity to introduce Helen to the basics of trotting so that she can beat me at that as well as still waters!

Cheers,

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: River Perry, Shropshire

Post by Penninelad »

I probably fished it about forty years ago.I think the Prince Albert AS had the stretch north of Ryton Xll Towns.It was very shallow and fairly fast flowing and contained dace,roach and small chub.We used to fish when the Severn was in flood.
Mark Davies

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I used to fish it in the 80s at myton mill near shrewsbury it was rented by the Sabrina angling club then, I was in my late teens used to catch big perch in the weirpool eddies very crabtree looking on lobworms with perch bobber floats, also jack pike by spinning and grayling trotting maggots inthe fast section out of the weirpool very good memories but between then and now the club lost the fishing, the stretch suffered a pollution and the mill area was converted to fancy apartments so all private now but fond memories.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Duckett wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:52 pm Does anyone have any experience of fishing the small River Perry in Shropshire? Helen and I are visiting the area in December for a few days and the landowner has kindly given us permission to wet a line. The stretch is north of Ruyton-XI-Towns.

He’s not an angler, so information is scant! From the few references I’ve found on line, it seems generally to be shallow and narrow over its 25 miles but seems to be home to Grayling, Trout, Dace, Roach and Chublets plus some of the micro species.

It seems like a good opportunity to introduce Helen to the basics of trotting so that she can beat me at that as well as still waters!

Cheers,

Phil
Sounds like a lovely stretch of water, i would takes some maggots and float fish it, every fish love a maggot, you should catch, look forward to you report :Thumb:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for the comments everyone.

At the moment, I’m thinking 2-3lb line, small short floats, size 18-20 hooks and maggots as the starting point. Something a little beefier in reserve in case Grayling are present or waters up and fast!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Duckett wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:35 pm Thanks for the comments everyone.

At the moment, I’m thinking 2-3lb line, small short floats, size 18-20 hooks and maggots as the starting point. Something a little beefier in reserve in case Grayling are present or waters up and fast!
I guess it is not fished much, so the fish will not be pressured? if it has colour on, you will not need to fish so fine, it would be a shame to hook a big chub and be under gunned!

I'd load a pin with 5lb, take a selection of hook link, 12-16 hooks and take it from there.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Paul F wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:51 pm
Duckett wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:35 pm Thanks for the comments everyone.

I guess it is not fished much, so the fish will not be pressured? if it has colour on, you will not need to fish so fine, it would be a shame to hook a big chub and be under gunned!

I'd load a pin with 5lb, take a selection of hook link, 12-16 hooks and take it from there.
Thanks for that, you make a good point. I’m used to busier rivers when I do fish them (it’s probably only 25% of my fishing this year) and I simply can’t find evidence of anyone fishing the Perry recently! Maybe starting a little heavier is a good idea.

Return to “Other Rivers”