Fishing near Skipton

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Fishing near Skipton

Post by Tengisgol »

Restrictions-permitting (and river conditions!), I have an opportunity for a days fishing whilst staying at Skipton at the end of the month.

Would there be any recommendations for a nice day ticket water? Method or target fish being entirely open (albeit I prefer the rivers).

Thanks in anticipation!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Fishing near Skipton

Post by Barbelseeker »

I think that Old Man river may be able to help, as he lives nearby I understand.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Phil, just noticed this,
there are a few venues that may fit the bill, firstly the River Aire, which is mixed course and trout, for advice there I would ring K& L tackle st Keighley, they sell the tickets and have all the info, there is also a multi lake venue called Raygill , carp , in fact all the usual suspects , tickets in advance though ..

http://raygillfisheries.co.uk/

Foulridge reservoir, big pike, bream , roach, perch

http://hcfishing.com/where_to_fish/foul ... rvoir.html

If you fancy a day on the Ribble at Ribchester I know a few day ticket stretches that return Barbel and Chub if its not in flood, Ribchester is about 30 miles from Skipton, I am very familiar with one particularv stretch that has produced Barbel up to 13-1/2 lbs for me ,and could “ guide” for the day if you were up for it. Martin James on here has has a Ribble stretch also, I keep meaning to get in touch with him re a guided day but stuff always seems to get in the way.
The other above mentioned venues are all within about 2-10 miles of Skipton, I cannot think of anywhere more local offhand, if I do I will be in touch .

David
Last edited by Old Man River on Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Skipton is really in the centre of fly fishing territory. Coarse fishing for Grayling is a possibility if you know a member of one of the local fly clubs without this it is difficult. There is coarse fishing on the Ribble at Great Mitton, just a few miles south of Clitheroe with day tickets from the Ribble Trust that can be purchased on line but don't quote me on that!

The Leeds-Liverpool canal is near but never fished it but told it can be rock hard in Winter.

Swaledale, probably too far from Skipton has coarse fishing nr Reeth and below and has been known to give up large chub to 7lbs or thereabouts.

Only know this stuff as part of my youth was spent in Lancashire borders with places like Clapham et al not far away with fishing open to all if you could out run the bailiffs......whoops!

Spent my life on the run ever since!

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'm not familiar with coarse fishing that area on a day ticket, but I'd imagine that Martin James will have a few good suggestions?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Fabulous - thanks chaps. I think I am going to have to stay reasonably close to base in order to keep Mrs Tengisgol onside! I think I will try K&L Tackle with a call for starters and see where it takes me! I'll keep you posted.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Other Rivers”