The river Foss near York

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
RobGoodwin
Minnow

The river Foss near York

Post by RobGoodwin »

The river Foss is a tributary of the Yorkshire Ouse; it is slow and canal-like as its lower reaches that run through York. Further upstream, it is more like a small natural stream. In the recent past it has had its ups and downs due to low water levels, agricultural run off with fish kills, choking duckweed rafts, and the recent development of adjacent housing estates. Recently I had a walk along its banks at Strensall, and was surprised to see such a good head of fish - mainly chub - and they took bread offerings readily. My old Mum lives in Strensall, so I made a mental note to return with some fishing gear. About 3 weeks ago I returned with an avon rod and centrepin and had a go for the chub. Typically, I saw fewer fish this time, but I did manage to catch 3 modest chub around a pound each on free-lined bread. They were not easy to catch, and were easily spooked in about 15-18" of water. You only had the one chance! Long story short - the stream is currently supporting a very good head of chub to around 3 lb with odd ones nudging 4 lb. At first glance you would not think such a tiny watercourse could support fish of this size. So its always worth exploring and doing a bit of pioneering. You never know what could be lurking under those tree roots....Polaroids and reasonably good knees are required for this sort of fishing!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: The river Foss near York

Post by Santiago »

Whenever I visit York I walk along the Foss near Huntington and occasionally see a few small chub. It's a delightful little river and it's good to hear the fish are doing well. I know in the past it's been cursed with episodes of pollution!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have fished the Foss Basin in Winter.

When the weather cools, the Ouse roach shoals enter the Foss basin to get out of the main flow of the Ouse ( so I have been told) and the Pike from the Ouse follow them, a few years ago I fished it using Whitings as sea deadbaits , in one session I had 5 Pike to 22 lb, the pike were very sluggish in the cold water but fed avidly.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

RobGoodwin
Minnow

Post by RobGoodwin »

OMR: I fished the Foss basin as a lad behind St Georges swimming baths. I had a few pike on my green Milbro solid glass spinning rod, but the best I could muster would be about 6 lb. In the summer you could catch roach on silk weed in the run off from the overflow. I didn't believe it until I was shown how it was done. All changed now - Glassworks gone, St Georges baths gone, but I suspect the roach and pike are still there. I heard rumours that tench could be caught in the basin, but I never saw one come out. I did see a huge trout around 5 or 6 lb come out on a livebait to a pike angler. I had a lot of roach on bread and wheat from Kings Staith just round the corner from where the Foss enters the Ouse.

Return to “Other Rivers”