A fitting sentence

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Stathamender
Tench

A fitting sentence

Post by Stathamender »

An agricultural company that polluted the Witham has been ordered by the EA to take a range of environmental actions over the next ten years to help its recovery. See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-53431575. This kind of action is known as a 'remediation notice' and while it is fairly common for these to be issued for contaminated land which is polluting either the groundwater or rivers nearby this appears to be only the second time that such a notice has been issued in the last 30 years for direct pollution of a waterway. Lets hope this signals a change of policy for the EA.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Hovis
Tench

Re: A fitting sentence

Post by Hovis »

Stathamender, following such devistating pollution this is a fantastic result and it's most welcomed. I'm very pround to say I've been part of the team working on this and its been a big part of my professional life for the last 2 years. However, much work is still to be done. The road is long but the final result will be as good as it can be. Like you say it's only the second time the Environmental Damage Regs (2009) have been used. It's relatively new legislation but powerful if used correctly.
Incidentally the middle Witham, which wasn't impacted, is throwing up 50lb bream bags along with the Foss and Till.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Hovis wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:21 pm Stathamender, following such devistating pollution this is a fantastic result and it's most welcomed. I'm very pround to say I've been part of the team working on this and its been a big part of my professional life for the last 2 years. However, much work is still to be done. The road is long but the final result will be as good as it can be. Like you say it's only the second time the Environmental Damage Regs (2009) have been used. It's relatively new legislation but powerful if used correctly.
Incidentally the middle Witham, which wasn't impacted, is throwing up 50lb bream bags along with the Foss and Till.
I thought it was done under the 1990 legislation. A strange voice from someone called Fred is telling me to pack my swing-tips and head for Lincolshire.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Stathamender wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:45 pm
Hovis wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:21 pm Stathamender, following such devistating pollution this is a fantastic result and it's most welcomed. I'm very pround to say I've been part of the team working on this and its been a big part of my professional life for the last 2 years. However, much work is still to be done. The road is long but the final result will be as good as it can be. Like you say it's only the second time the Environmental Damage Regs (2009) have been used. It's relatively new legislation but powerful if used correctly.
I thought it was done under the 1990 legislation. A strange voice from someone called Fred is telling me to pack my swing-tips and head for Lincolshire.

As I'm sure you'll be aware any regulator has to pick the best tool for their means, in this case it was EDR. I hope the serving of this helps other consider it as an option in the future. Powerful stuff.

Also note that there is an ongoing criminal investigation relating to the pollution.

Re: bream. LDAA will do tickets on the bank for a fiver. Or £35 for the year.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Other Rivers”