Fit to swim, fit to fish? Log-rolling for anglers

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Stathamender
Tench

Fit to swim, fit to fish? Log-rolling for anglers

Post by Stathamender »

I've posted before about how, post Brexit, we need to keep the EU Water Framework Directive (https://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/ ... tro_en.htm) alive as a basic principle in environmental management in the UK. Now here's something in The Guardian which shows how important this is. Currently only 14% of rivers in England meet the standard of 'good' under the Directive. There are many causes of pollution, agricultural runoff being a major one, but one of the worst and one of the most avoidable is discharge of raw sewage direct into rivers from treatment works. This is, in theory at least, regulated by the EA and is only supposed to happen in extreme weather conditions but apparently overflows are occuring far more often than they should.
The scale of the pollution that regularly occurs is shrouded in secrecy. Water companies are allowed to monitor their own discharges and do not release real-time data on how often, and for how long, combined sewerage overflows release sewage into any particular river.
Various groups are now seeking to get areas of rivers designated as Bathing Areas as the regulations used in coastal areas would then apply. This should effectively end release of sewage both in the areas and upstream of them other than in genuine emergencies. I think this is something that we as anglers should support: there's an idea in political science (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbUSjnhv6M) called 'log-rolling' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logrolling where people support campaigns by others either in return for reciprocal support for their own objectives or because they will also get benefit if the campaigners are successful. It's very unlikely that river bathers will interfere with our sport but by supporting them we stand to gain increases in water purity if successful.

As one commentator notes
“It [Bathing Status Designation] is the only way that we can see to get the Environment Agency, the water industry and the government to start treating our waterways with respect … We are going backwards in terms of water quality. People have taken their eye off the ball and the water industry has exploited that.”
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Fit to swim, fit to fish? Log-rolling for anglers

Post by Dave Burr »

Beware the signs 'Designated Swimming Area - No Fishing'

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:19 am Beware the signs 'Designated Swimming Area - No Fishing'
As I noted there are unlikely to be all that many conflicts, Bathing Area Designation (BAD) cleans the whole river and is, therefore, good.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Stathamender wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:22 am
Dave Burr wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:19 am Beware the signs 'Designated Swimming Area - No Fishing'
As I noted there are unlikely to be all that many conflicts, Bathing Area Designation (BAD) cleans the whole river and is, therefore, good.
I agree that cleaner rivers are going to benefit all and getting our waters clean is long overdue. I am however a tad cynical of how some may use legislation. Let's hope not :Thumb:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Yeah I read about this. Lets hope the EU water quality rules are kept. Dont trust the govt on this one, or anything come to that.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I think we need to have faith in our new government and its position on the European and World stage. As far as environmental protection (including freshwater environs) are concerned. It’s early days yet but I’m sure that we won’t see the wholesale abandonment of good practice in any sphere whatsoever, I think we’ll see with the help and pressure from interested groups an overall improvement on the EU water framework directive of which we played our part in bringing into legislation in the first place.Theres been far too much pessimism and negativity from some quarters surrounding us leaving the EU, we need to look forward and believe in our country. In ten years time you can tell me I was wrong, but I don’t think you will....🇬🇧
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:56 pm I think we need to have faith in our new government and its position on the European and World stage. As far as environmental protection (including freshwater environs) are concerned. It’s early days yet but I’m sure that we won’t see the wholesale abandonment of good practice in any sphere whatsoever, I think we’ll see with the help and pressure from interested groups an overall improvement on the EU water framework directive of which we played our part in bringing into legislation in the first place.Theres been far too much pessimism and negativity from some quarters surrounding us leaving the EU, we need to look forward and believe in our country. In ten years time you can tell me I was wrong, but I don’t think you will....🇬🇧
I'm not bothered about ten years' time I'm bothered about tomorrow. We've seen over the last ten years or so how the water companies have persistently tried to evade their responsibilities (and no I don't think re-nationalisation is the answer to that) both in guarding against pollution through sewage overflows and in other ways (e.g. reducing leakage - failure to do which has signiicantly increased demand on water sources) primarily to increase shareholder dividends. Complacency and hoping for the best is not the answer to that problem.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Well said Stathamender. My local rivers need wild swimmers like we need more canoeists. If you want to use a waterway you should be contributing to its upkeep

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Personally I don’t have a problem with wild swimmers... I had a very nice young lady swim through my pitch during the summer. We bumped into each other that evening in the pub and had a lovely chat, discussing how beautiful and unspoilt the Rother levels are, wildlife, fishing etc etc.... most charming.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I said it wouldn't be long before we saw the odd beaver swim past.

Wal.

Return to “Other Rivers”