Essex and suffolk stour

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
AndytheAmmer
Stickleback

Re: Essex and suffolk stour

Post by AndytheAmmer »

Looking to start fishing here again Danny.
Caught what was according to the Bailiff the 1st Zander out of Sudbury back in the early 80’s (6&1/2lb from the floodgates)
Had some decent bags of Roach,Bream over the years & seen a few Specimen River Carp!
Seen a few stockings of Barbel but never seen one caught
Not fished it properly for a long while!

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

Hi Andy. I know of zander being caught in Sudbury up until about 2012. But I also know these are very few and far between. I’ve not fished this stretch. I did have a look at a section but it was far too busy with passers by. The fishing may be good but that much flow of people detracts from the pleasure for me. Oh how I would love to catch a stour carp. I wonder if there is even any left. I’ve had some massive bream and good chub recently. The main thing I’ve learned about the stour is location. There are sections that seem baron, but other parts that constantly seem to hold fish all year round. Generally deeper parts. Would love to hear how you get on. If you have any tips for good locations for me, please feel free to digress! Il endeavour to check them out. Cheers!

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I fished the Suffolk Stour at Clare and years ago at Nayland ,caught many good roach and dace,but I'm promising myself a return at some point in the summer ,but not sure if it's club membership on these stretches, does any other forum member know.Thank you Reelmaker

The Bishop
Perch

Post by The Bishop »

There are some great Roach to be found by the bridge in Nayland near the Anchor pub also from there to Wittering some largish Chub.
This is about all I know but it is a lovely river

Regards Roger
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I’ve never fished the Essex/Suffolk Stour but decided to spend yesterday exploring LAA stretch at Glemsford.

For once finding an access to an LAA water was straightforward enough - I sometimes think the very dated handbook is part of an initiative test designed to weed out members unwilling to get lost for hours on end.

As is my usual experience with a lot of LAA waters, aside from Bures, Stollies and the River Beult, much of the area was overgrown and anglers clearly few. Walking around, the path to the Essex side was well cleared to the left of the bridge but I failed to find any way to the Essex bank to the right of the bridge. As I hadn’t packed my gardening tools, or gloves for the nettles lining all the banks deeply, I found the only 3 swims that appeared to see regular use, 2 Essex side and 1 Suffolk, and decided to give them a go for 4 hours each.

Chosen kit for the day was my Bruce & Walker CTM 13S float rod, Mill Tackle Company 39 Match loaded with 4lb line, stick float and 3lb hooklength with size 18. Maggots and bread punch for bait, having stupidly left my worms in the fridge at home! I had a white loaf put through the blender for ground bait but only used it when things slowed down.

Water depth was a fairly consistent 6-7 feet just a short distance from the margins with a fairly slow flow. Day was mostly over cast and humid but the sun did put in an appearance at lunchtime and in the early evening. The first half hour on the Essex side produced a half pound Dace and a half pound Roach.

What I ended up having was an interesting species hunt day with every other trot producing a small Roach or Dace, with a couple of Bleak showing as well. I’m not 100% on Bleak identification but they both had disproportionately large eyes and upturned mouth. Around noon I was reeling in what turned out to be a tiny Dace when it was taken by a small Pike. To my surprise, I managed to land it (photograph at end) and it was about a pound, with the Dace popping out of its mouth as I took my artery forceps to the 18 hook that appeared to be just hooked between the gnashers! The Dace even survived the experience. I know that most people find Jacks a bit of an irritation when trotting but I do a lot of ultralight lure fishing and they always bring a smile to my face.

By 1700 hours the fishing on the Essex side swims remained the same. So I moved to a swim on the Suffolk side just upstream of a bridge. I started with maggot again and almost immediately started landing Gudgeon and Minnows. I haven’t had a Minnow for years! Nothing else showed, so I changed to bread punch. My reward was 2 Chublets and 2 Roach of about half a pound. Just before 1900 hours, I’m fairly certain I was about to net my first Rudd of the day but, just short of the net it and my rig was taken by a Jack substantially larger than the one I had landed.

At that point, I decided it was time for the 90 minute drive home for several Rhubarb Gin and tonics! Passing the Nethergate Brewery, one of my favourites, en route reminded me that, in different times, I would have popped in for a carry out! Soon, I hope.

Not another angler or soul seen all day!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Marks7
Bleak

Post by Marks7 »

I used to fish the Suffolk Stour regularly when I lived in north Essex about 20 years ago. It was good for roach, perch chub and pike in those days. Chub and perch to small plugs was always good fun in summer and the autumn and winter pike and roach fishing could be very good. I once found a dead roach near Sudbury that weighed around two and a half pounds. It would have been closer to three in its prime.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Duckett wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:12 pm I’ve never fished the Essex/Suffolk Stour but decided to spend yesterday exploring LAA stretch at Glemsford.

For once finding an access to an LAA water was straightforward enough - I sometimes think the very dated handbook is part of an initiative test designed to weed out members unwilling to get lost for hours on end.

As is my usual experience with a lot of LAA waters, aside from Bures, Stollies and the River Beult, much of the area was overgrown and anglers clearly few. Walking around, the path to the Essex side was well cleared to the left of the bridge but I failed to find any way to the Essex bank to the right of the bridge. As I hadn’t packed my gardening tools, or gloves for the nettles lining all the banks deeply, I found the only 3 swims that appeared to see regular use, 2 Essex side and 1 Suffolk, and decided to give them a go for 4 hours each.

Chosen kit for the day was my Bruce & Walker CTM 13S float rod, Mill Tackle Company 39 Match loaded with 4lb line, stick float and 3lb hooklength with size 18. Maggots and bread punch for bait, having stupidly left my worms in the fridge at home! I had a white loaf put through the blender for ground bait but only used it when things slowed down.

Water depth was a fairly consistent 6-7 feet just a short distance from the margins with a fairly slow flow. Day was mostly over cast and humid but the sun did put in an appearance at lunchtime and in the early evening. The first half hour on the Essex side produced a half pound Dace and a half pound Roach.

What I ended up having was an interesting species hunt day with every other trot producing a small Roach or Dace, with a couple of Bleak showing as well. I’m not 100% on Bleak identification but they both had disproportionately large eyes and upturned mouth. Around noon I was reeling in what turned out to be a tiny Dace when it was taken by a small Pike. To my surprise, I managed to land it (photograph at end) and it was about a pound, with the Dace popping out of its mouth as I took my artery forceps to the 18 hook that appeared to be just hooked between the gnashers! The Dace even survived the experience. I know that most people find Jacks a bit of an irritation when trotting but I do a lot of ultralight lure fishing and they always bring a smile to my face.

By 1700 hours the fishing on the Essex side swims remained the same. So I moved to a swim on the Suffolk side just upstream of a bridge. I started with maggot again and almost immediately started landing Gudgeon and Minnows. I haven’t had a Minnow for years! Nothing else showed, so I changed to bread punch. My reward was 2 Chublets and 2 Roach of about half a pound. Just before 1900 hours, I’m fairly certain I was about to net my first Rudd of the day but, just short of the net it and my rig was taken by a Jack substantially larger than the one I had landed.

At that point, I decided it was time for the 90 minute drive home for several Rhubarb Gin and tonics! Passing the Nethergate Brewery, one of my favourites, en route reminded me that, in different times, I would have popped in for a carry out! Soon, I hope.

That took me back.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Marks7 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:29 pm I used to fish the Suffolk Stour regularly when I lived in north Essex about 20 years ago. It was good for roach, perch chub and pike in those days. Chub and perch to small plugs was always good fun in summer and the autumn and winter pike and roach fishing could be very good. I once found a dead roach near Sudbury that weighed around two and a half pounds. It would have been closer to three in its prime.
I’ll be taking my ultra light lure kit next time! Chub and Jacks on small soft plastics are a hoot!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:32 pm
Duckett wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:12 pm I’ve never fished the Essex/Suffolk Stour but decided to spend yesterday exploring LAA stretch at Glemsford.

That took me back.
The river fishing of my youth on the Dee was very different John. However, it did bring back memories of my wandering to remoter spots on the Weaver Navigation, the Shropshire Union and the Leeds & Liverpool. Though only the Weaver came close to such a wide variety of species. No Chub though!

Next time I think I will go even lighter with my Sealey Featherweight or my recently acquired ferruleless rod by Claytons.

Simple pleasures!

Phil

Return to “Other Rivers”