Essex and suffolk stour

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Danny
Stickleback

Essex and suffolk stour

Post by Danny »

I’m just intrigued as to whether many people still fish this lovely river. I rove many miles of it and in the last year I’ve seen, maybe 7 or 8 anglers. I understand that most people foolishly want to fish man made mud bowls for battered and worst for wear carp these days. It baffles me as to why. But anyhow, I would love to hear from anyone that does indeed fish the stour and to hear how they get on? I’m thinking about spending this winter looking for big pike on its stretches. But everyone I seek advice for on this subject tell me all the big pike are not there anymore. Why? Where have they gone? Or is this nonsense. Any information on all manner of fishing on the stour is greatly obliged. Thanks

Harry H
Tench

Re: Essex and suffolk stour

Post by Harry H »

I fish it around Sudbury a few times a year on a day ticket. There are still very good fishing to be had but as been said on other threads it is suffering from low water. My brother in law took his dog for a walk down at the Croft near the Mill hotel at the weekend and said the water had stopped flowing over the Weir gates which I can't say I've ever known before.
I a plus note he did say he saw some big shoals of Roach and some nice Bream.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I had a nice evening at Pitmere a few weeks ago as a guest of a member. A lovely little fishery and I’m told the roach are making a comeback. I had a good mixed bag in a couple of hours.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

I must say that the fishing was incredibly hard to start with. It took me around 6 months to find spots that regularly frequented. The fish on the stour are more nomadic and broken up than I’ve ever known on any river. But when you do find them good catches are to be had. I’m sure there are specimen roach and perch to be had still. I also had a very big and pristine Rudd recently that was somewhat of a surprise. Oh, and a rainbow trout which I can only assume is an escapee? A beautiful river surrounded by stunning countryside in parts as you know. Just nice to be on the bank there when possible.

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

Do you know if any tench, barbel , carp or zander are caught? I’ve heard tales of all these characters being caught on the stour. But never seem any evidence

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

My friend had lots of barbel to double figures but the last one was a good few years ago now and his view is that they are no longer. Not sure about the others, I'll ask when I get a chance.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

Wow that’s very interesting. The only stretch I’ve seen that has a barbel like feel to it is around langham pumping station. Was it here he caught these by any chance? I did try fishing there one day but my 2oz tip wasn’t enough. The flow was gushing through and I neglected to bring my other tips 😖

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

Deathly quiet. Just as I suspected. No one fishes the stour! As much as I like this, it is very underappreciated

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

My club Billericay & District AC have stretch on Suffolk at Henny Street... I've not fished it as its said to be very hard work with only small roach and the odd small dace
.. I'll have to give it a go I think
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

I done miles and miles of it with no success. But I’ve founds some nice spots now. Look for weirs, pools, locks etc. Anywhere with deeper water too. Prebaiting too has worked very well for me. Walk a few miles, bait some likely looking swims with hemp and castor. By the time you come back on them there should be fish. This method saw me catch nice roach and even the odd trout through the bleakest winter months.

Return to “Other Rivers”