Claydon Lakes

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Mick
Chub

Claydon Lakes

Post by Mick »

Morning all! I have just found out that Leighton Buzzard AC has lost the rights to Claydon Lakes after 60 years. Some of you will recall that Claydon was the first to receive Wels catfish from the Duke of Bedford's Woburn Lakes. I have no information as to what will happen with regard to access to the lakes, but it is the end of an era for many catfish hunters. LBAC also have Tiddenfoot Pit and Rackley Hills Pit containing catfish. Claydon Lakes always had a place in my heart, especially during the time I lived in Steeple Claydon. I know some of you fished there on a regular basis in it's heyday and I am sure you will feel the same sadness as I do. I would imagine the late Jim Brennan, who was the bailiff there for many years will be turning in his grave.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Claydon Lakes

Post by Olly »

The spread of Wels has been enormous and you don't have to go far around London to find a catfish fishery.

But it is a shame that, like Redmire in a way, things are and have changed.

Did fish the Leisure Sport water for cats/carp.

Julian
Salmon

Re: Claydon Lakes

Post by Julian »

Calvert AC , who have had the rights on the Bottom Lake at Claydon for over 80 years are taking on the Middle Lake and Top Lake as well ( which Leighton Buzzard had ). However the middle lake has been decimated by otters over the last two years, as the estate won’t allow a fence. some carp and big cats also lost to otters on the Bottom lake before the electric fence was put up. Just to add, Calvert AC , who also have Itters Pit in Calvert ( with otter fence in place before any otters arrived ) not taking on any new members currently, and also have a large waiting list to join.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”