Wild Welsh carp

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Barbus Maximus
Stickleback

Wild Welsh carp

Post by Barbus Maximus »

My second visit to pant y llyn was in stark contrast to my first. My previous visit had seen an early start finding me wondering the hills in a thick fog. By the end of the day I had caught several wonderful wild carp and fallen in love with the place.
This week found me unable to resist the desire for more and so I made the three hour trip to find myself faced with a dark and moody sky and extreme winds. After an hour I abandoned my original plan to fish by the dam which had brought me so much success last time and I moved to the opposite bank where at least I could see my float whilst waiting for a bite. To cut a long story short by the end of the day I had enjoyed the feeling of solitude and contentment that the remote venue brings whilst catching three more glorious wild carp.
Much has been written about this lake before and I am unable to do it justice with my words but for any one who enjoys catching hard fighting carp and wishing to find the mystery so often lost in today's carp fisheries I urge you to give pant y llyn a try. For me it symbolises everything I look for in "traditional" angling and I hope it can for you too.
Regards Barbus.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Wild Welsh carp

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done, it sounds wonderful and well worth the long walk!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Barbus Maximus
Stickleback

Post by Barbus Maximus »

Thanks lea dweller. Yes it is wonderful. I rarely fish stillwaters in recent years but do have a love of wild carp and pant y llyn has certainly captured a piece of my heart. Can't wait for the next opportunity to go again.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've had a search through old posts and it does sound an intriguing water Barbus. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I'll put it on the long list of waters to visit :Hat:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

A nice video of Pant-y-Llyn including our own SK.

https://youtu.be/mciZuM4qFHA?t=275
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I put them both up whilst they went up and made that video. I also took them up to see my pool which they also fished and caught a lot of the koi. I didn't fish myself because I was off to Redmire Pool and didn't fancy leaving anything behind after already sorting things out for my trip. For those who have never been to Pant y Llyn I'm always more than happy to show people where it is. It's best fished alone and is the one place I skulk off to when I want some peace and quiet. It's very tranquil and the views are breath taking.......Oh yes, and the fish fight like nothing you'll have experienced before.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I am just waiting for the Welsh government to allow me to visit Wales to go fishing, then I'm off to Pant y Lynn to try and get me a fight with one of those beautiful wild carp, real proper carp. Will probably have a go on the Severn on the same trip at Hampton loade and try for my first river barbel. If the Welsh government keep the current rules for much longer then the Stockton reservoir trip will take precedence over the Welsh trip.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

It’s nice to see you on the TFF, Matthew. Your rhubarb is coming on well! Good thing I’ll be able to visit soon or it will be getting pot bound. I’ll drop Mr P’s with you too. I’m looking forward to chasing wildies with you soon!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:54 pm I am just waiting for the Welsh government to allow me to visit Wales to go fishing, then I'm off to Pant y Lynn to try and get me a fight with one of those beautiful wild carp, real proper carp. Will probably have a go on the Severn on the same trip at Hampton loade and try for my first river barbel. If the Welsh government keep the current rules for much longer then the Stockton reservoir trip will take precedence over the Welsh trip.

Thanks
BB
This Lockdown is getting really tedious for us living here. I can see why it's necessary but it feels so long since we've had any freedom to go for a drive Pant y llyn is 12 miles from my house and I won't lie and say that I haven't been there. I've also been to Redmire on a work trip to paint the toilets (which I did quickly) and found myself floating about in the punt all of the Saturday afternoon getting rid of sludge for Les Bamford two jobs I felt very honoured to be doing at such a special place. As I floated there in that punt, I gazed down onto the purple flanks of carp amongst the fronds of weed (Someone should write that sentence into a book :Wink: ) but even with these couple of trips in three months of monotony it feels as if people's patience is waring thin. I came home today and got told off by my neighbour. Our fence blew down in the January gales and I've been onto my landlords ever since to get it put back up. My Neighbour owns her own house and it's the adjoining fence between our properties so She's concerned that whoever puts the fence back up does a good job and makes it look good. When I got home, I looked at the fence and only one side had been boarded. It was meant to be boarded on both sides "Mismatched" is the term I was told but obviously the Scandral had decided that he'd put his price in for boarding both sides but make himself a bit of money by only doing one. Somehow this is my fault?? :doh: So, the lovely neighbour I had and was doing odd jobs for last week free of charge has now decided that she isn't going to speak to me from now on. :shocked:
Anyway, I believe there will be a review on 6th July and hopefully we'll be allowed to roam a bit further afield. I really need to get away from here and go fishing!!

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:21 am It’s nice to see you on the TFF, Matthew. Your rhubarb is coming on well! Good thing I’ll be able to visit soon or it will be getting pot bound. I’ll drop Mr P’s with you too. I’m looking forward to chasing wildies with you soon!
Thanks Jack. I often lookin on the forum but don't post as much as I should do. I'll try to post a bit more if time allows from now on. This is one place in a million to come and chat fishing with like-minded people.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”