BURES LAKE LAA

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

BURES LAKE LAA

Post by Bobthefloat »

Does anyone on here fish this LAA water? Thinking about the 2 hours journey any info/ stories past or present would be very much appreciated :Hat:

Aitch
Pike

Re: BURES LAKE LAA

Post by Aitch »

Stathemender fishes it as far as I know :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

ImageI haven't fished it for about 5 years now but it couldn't have changed much. It was a very comfortable long established lake, very well maintained . These 2 old warhorse's are typical of the stamp of fish in Bures. You will like it.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Bobthefloat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:20 pm Does anyone on here fish this LAA water? Thinking about the 2 hours journey any info/ stories past or present would be very much appreciated :Hat:
I’ve fished it regularly for the last 5 years. Lovely tree surrounded lake with lilies and a varied bottom. Some very good Bream and the Tench seem to be growing again. Also a considerable number of Rudd, though I seem to be one of the few anglers who target them - I’ve had them up to a pound. Jacks and a few Chub have got in when the river floods.

Not sure when but LAA introduced Carp and every older Tench angler I’ve met there believes that the Tench aren’t growing as well as they used to.

Controversial bit - since the COVID-19 outbreak LAA has attracted the sort of Carp hunters who make me spit blood! I expect the Carp to all have names very soon.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Thanks for the feedback guy's. I must admit the last comment about the other anglers has set off alarm bells but as a member I'll just go check it out one day this summer :Hat:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Bobthefloat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:46 am Thanks for the feedback guy's. I must admit the last comment about the other anglers has set off alarm bells but as a member I'll just go check it out one day this summer :Hat:
I've fished Bures regularly for a week once a year since 2016 having first started fishing there in the days of Len Head (and his brother Ted) back in 1973 when I was a student at nearby Essex University. I went back initially as a nostalgia trip but I enjoyed it so much it's become a regular date. It's one of my favourite venues: a real old style country lake with good tench and some excellent 'goldenscale' commons with quite a few around 20lbs. It's usually very quiet around there and there's all sorts of wildlife to see (including a lot of very rare damselflies for which this part of the world is known). The fishing is good, the lake has not been overstocked but blanks are rare. It's a lot easier than Hemingford but it's not a 'bagging' water like Stollies. The original dark tench for which it was known are fairly scarce now but still around while the lighter green additions over the last ten years can run to 7lb or 8lb. More likely you'll catch around 4-5 lb. Occasionally late evening sessions in summer can get very hectic with a feeding frenzy. It's been fitted with platforms which are probably a good thing as it used to get quite hairy sliding down some steep banks to the water's edge back in the old days. You can get results with most baits but I've found I catch more with ground baiting a combination of particles and cereals (with some added blood for the sake of tradition). I've never seen anyone fishing far out, you can catch within a few rod lengths.

It has problems: silting and thick weed growth (bring a rake) because of agricultural runoff and I've known it to get deoxygenated during summer and the fish get out of condition. As to human problems I've seen a few annoying bivvieboys there in my times but they're mostly at weekends and the bailiff is very good at keeping them in order. There's also some very annoying ducks and if you use maggots you'll get bothered to death by rudd and perch fry.

You'll find some stuff about the lake in my journal, I'll be there this year 26/7 to 2/8. It's worth a day of anybody's time. While you're up that way you can also try the Stour at various places and the pits at Glemsford.

There's more info here: https://stephenmdavis571fishingblog.wor ... e-suffolk/
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Stathamender wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:35 pm
Bobthefloat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:46 am Thanks for the feedback guy's. I must admit the last comment about the other anglers has set off alarm bells but as a member I'll just go check it out one day this summer :Hat:
I've fished Bures regularly for a week once a year since 2016 having first started fishing there in the days of Len Head (and his brother Ted) back in 1973 when I was a student at nearby Essex University. I went back initially as a nostalgia trip but I enjoyed it so much it's become a regular date. It's one of my favourite venues: a real old style country lake with good tench and some excellent 'goldenscale' commons with quite a few around 20lbs. It's usually very quiet around there and there's all sorts of wildlife to see (including a lot of very rare damselflies for which this part of the world is known). The fishing is good, the lake has not been overstocked but blanks are rare. It's a lot easier than Hemingford but it's not a 'bagging' water like Stollies. The original dark tench for which it was known are fairly scarce now but still around while the lighter green additions over the last ten years can run to 7lb or 8lb. More likely you'll catch around 4-5 lb. Occasionally late evening sessions in summer can get very hectic with a feeding frenzy. It's been fitted with platforms which are probably a good thing as it used to get quite hairy sliding down some steep banks to the water's edge back in the old days. You can get results with most baits but I've found I catch more with ground baiting a combination of particles and cereals (with some added blood for the sake of tradition). I've never seen anyone fishing far out, you can catch within a few rod lengths.

It has problems: silting and thick weed growth (bring a rake) because of agricultural runoff and I've known it to get deoxygenated during summer and the fish get out of condition. As to human problems I've seen a few annoying bivvieboys there in my times but they're mostly at weekends and the bailiff is very good at keeping them in order. There's also some very annoying ducks and if you use maggots you'll get bothered to death by rudd and perch fry.

You'll find some stuff about the lake in my journal, I'll be there this year 26/7 to 2/8. It's worth a day of anybody's time. While you're up that way you can also try the Stour at various places and the pits at Glemsford.

There's more info here: https://stephenmdavis571fishingblog.wor ... e-suffolk/
Thank you very much for your reply we may see you this summer! :fishing1: :Hat:

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”