Grayling fishing in Cheshire.

This forum is for discussing grayling.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Grayling fishing in Cheshire.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

One of the goals I have set myself for this coming season is to catch my first grayling. My usual river is The Weaver, where no grayling live. I also have The River Dane and a small stream called Wincham Brook on my Northwich ticket, both of which I have never fished. Wincham Brook is said to hold a small number of grayling, so that will be where I try first.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any free fishing areas in Cheshire where grayling live and are regularly caught? The River Dee has been recommended to me by Luke, and I have found a free stretch of The Dee in Chester online. Can grayling be caught in this stretch? It looks quite slow and the website talks mainly of pike and perch fishing.

Any advice for a guy after grayling for the first time? Bait, techniques, etc. I am thinking of trotting maggot, but wonder if the minnows and small roach may beat the grayling to the bait. Do grayling take corn?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

BazTheFisher

Re: Grayling fishing in Cheshire.

Post by BazTheFisher »

No grayling there I'm afraid, I've fished the dee all my life on and off. You'd have to go above Farndon for a realistic chance. It's free in Farndon too, I'm not sure of any free spots above there but the stretch at Bangor on dee is day ticket which you buy in the local post office.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Grayling fishing in Cheshire.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Hi. I have since caught my first grayling from the Dane. In fact I've had four this year. :Sun:

viewtopic.php?f=337&t=9633
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”