Cold Lady

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Moley
Brown Trout

Cold Lady

Post by Moley »

Brrrr an early start and the cold is intense as Fatty stomps down by his favourite chalkstream, a rod the old Kennet P with JW Heritage loaded with 4lb Maxima and large Stick in one hand, an exceedingly fine home baked Pork Pie in the other, squinting at the stream, like Ahab looking for Moby.

The water seemed to have taken on a dark grey, almost black hue with no sign of piscine presence whatsoever. When it is this cold sometimes even Fatty must draw stumps and admit defeat but lo in yonder swim a flash of silver. Dropping to one knee, the size 14 hook was baited with two red grubs, and float under-armed into the run, holding back whilst a peppering of a dozen or so grubs were bounced off the float top, then release to swim the stream.

With careful guiding the float made it to the flash zone 'pleasing in its appearance, even more so in its disappearance!'

A quick turn of the wrist resulted in a heavy cork screwing resistance on the line:

Fatty proving to be not a complete dolt. :Hat:

Further swimming of the stream here proved to be fruitless. So with pie finished and slurping tea slurped, time to return to warmer climes....home :Hat:

Warming in the car took some time but a call into the finest purveyor of bacon rolls with brown sauce near Winchester soon had Fatty feeling alright with the world. Even Matron :Scared: seemed pleasantly surprised at such an early return of her spouse as there were many chores that she could palm off! :surrender:

Not all bad as a early morning Grayling really does induce a warm glow of satisfaction for the rest of the day :Thumb:

As ever,.......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Cold Lady

Post by Lea Dweller »

Entertaining as always, I do love Grayling! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Lovely write up as usual. Lovely Grayling and really nice float.
Well done
Dave@ Hastings

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Lovely. How’s the Kennet P as a trotting rod?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Lovely stuff Moley... Tea, Pie, Bacon rolls and a lovely Grayling... a great days work :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Kind words always gratefully received.

Grayling are the only fish prepared to feed when the air temperature drops; Fatty loves them for being so obliging :Hat:

Hovis you asked about the Kennet Perfection as a trotting rod: well it is a little top heavy but is fine for short sessions with one rod and a large float balancing it all. Also should the float prove ineffective it is very good for the rolling ledger at chub and barbel. Roach like a rolled ledger too, so all in all suits Fatty when strolling about with the minimum of tackle.

Obviously if the Mole arm gets tired, stret-pegging is a good choice too allowing time for scran and slurping tea as a restorative :Wink:

Aitch you know that where there is good food, Fatty is never far away :Thumb:

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Bleak
Bleak

Post by Bleak »

Very nice, as I remember the low
temperatures are soon forgotten when
connecting with a winter lady.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Great stuff Moley - you really captured a winter trip to catch a grayling. I must plan a trip on the upper Wye with a fishing buddy of mine,,,
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”