a day on the river

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Ian
Eel

a day on the river

Post by Ian »

i decided to put the coarse fishing on the back burner yesterday and opted to have a day grayling fishing and it was a breath of fresh air.
I could have headed for the clyde but with a north wind blowing i thought better of it and ended up going for the avon,the avon gorge to be precise.
I fished this water almost every weekend at one point,albeit a few years ago now and i was quietly pleased to see not much had changed.
The gorge itself is quite dangerous as its made up of muck and giant slabs of sandstone which every now and then give way.you need to be very vigilant.
The river itself was carrying a bit of water and coloured to a nice dark tea effect,lovely as its a spate river and these conditions do no harm what so ever.
The river bed is made up of sandstone flats with deeper narrow gravel bars,like a giants chiseled them out.
To enjoy the riches this beautiful little river has involves a lot of walking and covering a lot of water as finding the grayling is no easy task.
I chose trotting maggots below a 3g chubber and due to the water conditions i got away with a 3lb hook length.
The first run is a formidable sight as there are big rocks on the bank i was fishing and they must weigh a ton at least,they no doubt came down during a landslide years ago.the grayling like to ly at the side of these rocks but yesterday only a trout was at home.
The following three runs were the same with only brownies showing any interest.
The day was drawing on and with limited light i just had to get to my favourite run and my banker for a grayling.
The run is fast, deep and rocky but over the far bank the river bed is flat sandstone and theres a big rock half way down the run,when i say big i mean the size of a small car and the grayling ly in front of it but its a thin line between hooking a fish or hooking the rock,luckily for me i hooked a fish and at last a grayling.only a small one but after five hours of almost non stop fishing a very welcome one and i felt proud of myself knowing that the knowledge i gained whilst fishing this intimate little river all those years ago helped me winkle out a grayling on a very hard day and when most folk would have packed up early complaining that there were'nt any fish in the river.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Paul D

Re: a day on the river

Post by Paul D »

Well done Ian, I couldn't buy a bite yesterday :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Well done for even being bankside in a northerly ! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Paul D wrote:Well done Ian, I couldn't buy a bite yesterday :Hat:
Were you fishing for grayling paul?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Ian wrote:
No mate, just fishing for what ever came along.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Well done, Ian! A hard day's work sometimes.
I wish I found some grayling at all around here. Unfortunately there aren't any in 'my' river.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Duebel wrote:Well done, Ian! A hard day's work sometimes.
I wish I found some grayling at all around here. Unfortunately there aren't any in 'my' river.
Thats a pity duebel.they help pass the winter blues

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Paul D wrote:
Ian wrote:
No mate, just fishing for what ever came along.
It was a cold day paul,well it was here.

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”