Jason White of Dorset

This forum belongs to Jason White of Dorset.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Jason White of Dorset

Post by Mark »

Jason offers a complete bespoke service that enables him to cater for individual requirements. As well as making rods, bank sticks, ash and cane lading nets and handles etc Jason also runs a tackle finder service, so if there is an item that has eluded you Jason will do his best to track it down via his many contacts in the trade.

The bulk of Jason’s work consists mainly of rod restoration which he gets great pleasure from, seeing a tatty old stick transformed back to its former glory and imaging the history behind such rods.

And for anyone considering purchasing a cane rod Jason offers introduction days, which afford anyone the opportunity to pick from many of the rods he has in stock and actually fish with them for the day on the river, before they spend their hard earned money on something that may not be suitable for them.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Jason White of Dorset

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Lovely stuff, thanks for posting it up Mark. I'm sure a few members will be contacting for the item of tackle that has evaded for so long!!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

You will notice my very own scatterpult on the business card.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Jason has refurbished or restored six rods for me and has two that he is doing fully and one that needs the butt ring re whipping at the moment.

The first rod that he did was my beloved 1930s Allcocks The Wallis Wizard.I was very impressed with his detailed approach to this work.All the original fittings were cleaned and treated.It had the original tip and butt rings these were brought back to (old) new.The wooden handle and butt button were also restored.replacement intermediate rings to match the originals were found and whippings were matched to the originals.

I wanted the rod brought back to as near original as possible so we agreed that the cane should be coloured in the dark green almost black stain which he was able to do.

I use the rod for fishing-though it has to be a special day.On March the 14th 2011 it had an outing on the Dorset Stour.A nice roach that i was just bringing to the surface was grabbed by a pike. I played the pike on the old rod and it was netted.She weighed 13 and a half pounds.The rod is still as straight as an arrow.

He has also restored some Hardy coarse rods for me.The Hardy inscriptions are always a worry.Jason is able to copy the original writing on rods.He uses his own techniques to touch up the odd letter or re write all of it.I am more than happy with the result.

An FWK Wallis Avon that he made a new tip for fishes as good as new.I cant tell the difference.An Allcocks Super Wizard that has a new shive cork butt and a Hardy LRH No1 that had a smashed handle from the reel fitting down have also been transformed to as new for a friend of mine. Just to show the wide range of tasks that Jason can turn his hand to If asked.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

He'll certainly be on my list of restorers now there seems to be recommendations.
I have a Hardy Wanless spinning rod in need of a fresh set of rings so I may give him a buzz.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

TonyPrior

Post by TonyPrior »

Just a word of endorsement and thanks for Jason's superb craftsmanship. He recently restored a 1950-ish Jim Payne 3+2 fly rod that I found languishing in a pile of old sticks in a local tackle shop. He's done a fantastic job, completely stripping it down and restoring it with great sympathy and feel for the original. The rod is now glowing and sound, in its original colours and finish. Many thanks.
Without your expertise a little piece of angling history would have ended up in the knacker's yard. Instead, it's set for a second lease of life. I don't suppose you can restore old anglers too, by any chance? :thumb:

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

TonyPrior wrote:Just a word of endorsement and thanks for Jason's superb craftsmanship. He recently restored a 1950-ish Jim Payne 3+2 fly rod that I found languishing in a pile of old sticks in a local tackle shop. He's done a fantastic job, completely stripping it down and restoring it with great sympathy and feel for the original. The rod is now glowing and sound, in its original colours and finish. Many thanks.
Without your expertise a little piece of angling history would have ended up in the knacker's yard. Instead, it's set for a second lease of life. I don't suppose you can restore old anglers too, by any chance? :thumb:
A Jim Payne? Did you find it in this country? Flippin' eck...

TonyPrior

Post by TonyPrior »

Yep, in my local tackle shop, where I have wasted millions. I could have bought it for £20 like most of the other non-H rods in the bundle, but when I came across it I was so shocked that I gibbered. The response was, "Whatevvaa....make us an offer". I had to retreat and do some Googling. Next day when I asked for it, it was: "Oh, you mean 'the Payne'...". The price was now £90. It was sound. I didn't haggle :D

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Anybody know what's the best is of contacting Jason? Cheers

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

SharkBoy wrote:Anybody know what's the best is of contacting Jason? Cheers
Have a look in this thread.

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 144&t=3350
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “Jason White of Dorset”