Braces

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Braces

Post by Olly »

The are very comfortable with no tight restrictions around your waist - my hips are smaller than my waist so if the trousers slip -- they dont stop!

Clip-on are OK if you are wearing lightweight suit trousers - but heavier weight thermal lined winter fishing trousers need the button Y version. I still wear a belt, but not tight, as it holds the trousers nearer the body stopping drafts in the nether regions.

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:36 pm Never worn braces but earlier this season, whilst carrying my gear, my belt came undone and I reached my swim with my trousers around my ankles. So, never say never.
You must have been good at the sack race :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ally wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:40 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:36 pm Never worn braces but earlier this season, whilst carrying my gear, my belt came undone and I reached my swim with my trousers around my ankles. So, never say never.
You must have been good at the sack race :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
At my age, the 'sack' is quite likely to tangle and trip me :whistle:

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

I know it's me, but I cant help thinking about braces without thinking of elderly Gentlemen who favour the wearing of those kind of trousers that come way past the waist and halfway up the chest............

:fish:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Wanderer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 pm I know it's me, but I cant help thinking about braces without thinking of elderly Gentlemen who favour the wearing of those kind of trousers that come way past the waist and halfway up the chest............

:fish:
That is exactly what I was thinking. Working Men's Clubs were full of blokes with those high fronted trousers at one time.

Mind you; the modern way seems to be narrow leg jeans with a 32" belt under a 48" paunch. :shocked: I don't know how they fasten the belt. :Hahaha:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think many wear chesties to hide their braces.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wanderer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 pm I know it's me, but I cant help thinking about braces without thinking of elderly Gentlemen who favour the wearing of those kind of trousers that come way past the waist and halfway up the chest............
As I can attest ... it will happen to you one day, sir ... and all too soon !!! ... just like the day when yet another reminder of the passing years lands on your doorstep ... as it did for me yesterday.

The DVLA were good enough to remind me that I had to apply to renew my driving licence ... as I will have to do every 2 years from this year ... and when my new one arrives ... I shall no longer be entitled to drive mini buses ... or wagons up to 7.5 tons !!!

"Three score years and ten" comes around all too quickly ... as does the need for trousers with elastic waistbands !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:55 pm
As I can attest ... it will happen to you one day, sir ... and all too soon !!! ... just like the day when yet another reminder of the passing years lands on your doorstep ... as it did for me yesterday.

The DVLA were good enough to remind me that I had to apply to renew my driving licence ... as I will have to do every 2 years from this year ... and when my new one arrives ... I shall no longer be entitled to drive mini buses ... or wagons up to 7.5 tons !!!

"Three score years and ten" comes around all too quickly ... as does the need for trousers with elastic waistbands !!! :Hat:
Dear Ashby Cut, I do hope I havent caused you any offence with my comment on very high waisted trousers.
I fully appreciate the passage of time and am regularly looking over my shoulder for "The Grim Reaper",myself.

My post was about those people who wear those very high waisted trousers with consequently, very short braces..
Not all of these Gentlemen are of great girth and it is obviously a choice of attire that suits them and good luck to them.
It is not as common as it once was, but it is still occasionally seen.

My post was not meant to be a criticism in any way.

With regard to your comment on elasticated waist trousers, I wear them myself, M&S are well known for their range and very smart and comfortable they are too.

With further regard to attire/clothing, a subject I find interesting, can anyone on the forum explain to me why the wearing of shorts of various kinds by men of all ages has become so common, even in the depths of winter , on very cold days.

Ps, this is not in any way a criticism of those people who chose to wear shorts, people can wear what they like and I in no way wish to cause offence to shorts wearers. It is merely an open Question.

Best wishes to all.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The answer to your question may well be the need to display what is commonly called these days; a Tat. Usually on said person's calf :Wink:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

At one time all trousers had high waists which is why we think oldies. Mind you we are probably most of us knocking on a bit. But fashion is not for the river bank and I may get meself some high backs for winter to stop the annoying untucking

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”