A different hat for every trip

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

A different hat for every trip

Post by Rutland Rod »

Flicking through a local auction catalogue I came upon this splendid selection of hats, not our usual cap etc but would brighten up a session !Image They look to me like French ? certainly not English ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: A different hat for every trip

Post by Pallenpool »

The Straw ditty looks very much like a Green Templeton College Oxford boating or punt hat. Perfect for a calm Summers day fishing a river or even an estate lake.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I suffer from a surfeit of hats “ Thora” aka SWMBO , just shakes her head in disbelief, there must be 20 plus of various styles , plus around the same number of wooly hats for winter . Everything from my traditional Pith helmet ( which I may take to the Wye in a few weeks) to an Acubra, a few leather cowboy style hats , my Army and other uniform hats, trilby, flat caps straw,baseball caps ( I know , shouldnt be mentioned ) etc etc .

I suppose everybody has some form of weakness , one of mine is hats, a lot of which never get worn. :whistle:

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:54 pmI suppose everybody has some form of weakness , one of mine is hats, a lot of which never get worn. :whistle:

OMR
And you think YOU have problems !!

:shocked:

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

:Chuckle:

I could not wear a hat like that, it doesnt have a brim!

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I've also caught the hat bug in recent years which boils down to three categories.
Sun hats
Cold weather hats
And wet weather hats
I have at least two of each.
I'm not really a fan of hood's or brollies these days.

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:33 am
Old Man River wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:54 pmI suppose everybody has some form of weakness , one of mine is hats, a lot of which never get worn. :whistle:

OMR
And you think YOU have problems !!

:shocked:

Definitely one to wear indoors while tying the old flies, or reading Crabtree, with your feet up on a leather pouffe, in front of the open hearth fire with some apple or cherry wood logs crackling in the grate.

Dom. :Thumb:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I had a count up in the Landrover “hat store“.... nine different hats... from corduroy trilby, flat caps, floppy bush hats, Tilley and woolly ones.....amazing what you can find! I do like a hat!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

ImageAnd for the angler who likes his Greenheart & Horsehair direct to the rod tip a perfect hat and the case is very nice too.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

My brother-in-law has several vintage cars; Triumph Roadster, Triumph Stag, Bond Minicar, Bond Bug, and has a different hat for each car. The Roadster goes with a deerstalker, a WWII flying helmet goes with the Bond Minicar and the Bug is always driven whilst wearing a baseball cap backwards. At Christmas he tours the Barnsley area in his red three wheeled two stroke Bond Minicar wearing his flying helmet, trailing a long scarf and accompanied by Santa Claus.

For my part I have a Tilly summer hat for fishing, a waterproof baseball cap for work & fishing, another baseball cap for gardening, several winter hats including a Tilly Winter Hat with ear flaps and a forehead flap for dog walking and a beanie hat for work. But, around this time of year when the temps drop to minus 5 or less I bring out the Russian Cossack fur hat. When the side flaps are tied under my chin I can survive any weather!

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”