Old clothes and rewards

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Old Man River
Eel

Old clothes and rewards

Post by Old Man River »

I dont know what is generally termed as "traditional" , is it style or age ?

27 years ago, I purchased a fishing jacket called a "Mainstream" it was a floatation aid as well as a jacket, warm, waterproof, comfortable if a bit bulky due to the closed cell lining.

I have worn the jacket since I bought it, it is getting a bit worn around the edges, seams /elbows etc showing age and wear, it is no longer as waterproof as it once was, in fact in the last ten years I have bought a few other fishing jackets that are worn dependent upon the weather.

Anyway, about five years ago one of the pocket flaps decided to shed its seams and as things do, I put repairing it on the back burner . Tomorrow I am going for a sea fishing session , and as the forecast is fine but chilly, I decided to put the jacket in the bag to wear, I picked it up and remembered the torn pocket, as I had a bit if time I sewed up the torn flap, when I was finished I rummaged around inside the repaired pocket,intending to throw away the rubbish I always put in my pockets and forget about.., and found a selection of beads, swivels, bits of line ,plastic wraps etc, some sweet wrappers, and in the bottom, hidden away in a corner a Cadburies Chocolate fudge.... wrapped and sealed, it must have escaped my attention some time ago, looked OK , so I thought the jacket was giving me a reward for the repair, I unwrapped it and ate it, tasted, er more or less OK.

Later I was talking to SWMBO, and mentioned the sweet in the pocket, told her what it was , she said, "Cadburies" we have not had any chocolates in the house for about ten years, even at Christmas we dont have any, just nuts fruit etc....

Anyway, fishing tomorrow, if I am still well, who knows what I will else I will find hidden away waiting to see the daylight again.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Old clothes and rewards

Post by Pallenpool »

Old Man River wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 pm I dont know what is generally termed as "traditional" , is it style or age ?

27 years ago, I purchased a fishing jacket called a "Mainstream" it was a floatation aid as well as a jacket, warm, waterproof, comfortable if a bit bulky due to the closed cell lining.

I have worn the jacket since I bought it, it is getting a bit worn around the edges, seams /elbows etc showing age and wear, it is no longer as waterproof as it once was, in fact in the last ten years I have bought a few other fishing jackets that are worn dependent upon the weather.

Anyway, about five years ago one of the pocket flaps decided to shed its seams and as things do, I put repairing it on the back burner . Tomorrow I am going for a sea fishing session , and as the forecast is fine but chilly, I decided to put the jacket in the bag to wear, I picked it up and remembered the torn pocket, as I had a bit if time I sewed up the torn flap, when I was finished I rummaged around inside the repaired pocket,intending to throw away the rubbish I always put in my pockets and forget about.., and found a selection of beads, swivels, bits of line ,plastic wraps etc, some sweet wrappers, and in the bottom, hidden away in a corner a Cadburies Chocolate fudge.... wrapped and sealed, it must have escaped my attention some time ago, looked OK , so I thought the jacket was giving me a reward for the repair, I unwrapped it and ate it, tasted, er more or less OK.

Later I was talking to SWMBO, and mentioned the sweet in the pocket, told her what it was , she said, "Cadburies" we have not had any chocolates in the house for about ten years, even at Christmas we dont have any, just nuts fruit etc....

Anyway, fishing tomorrow, if I am still well, who knows what I will else I will find hidden away waiting to see the daylight again.

OMR
That fudge bar was verging on being traditional - did you by chance take a picture of the wrapper? It would be interesting to see if it has changed that much (if at all) in the years it has spent in the pocket. As the constituent ingredient is sugar I am sure you will survive - let’s face it the chocolate bar did.

:Thumb:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Its in the bin Peter, I must admit that I am always quite fastidious about my fishing gear being washed, tidied and put away clean and ready for the next expedition, but I aways forget about the pockets !

David.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Not a bad thing to forget - a bar of choc when you have not had any in the house (not quite true) for all those years - what a treat - tight lines for tomorrow.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I think your better half David is just slightly miffed that you didn't share the fudge with her.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

A finger of fudge is just enough to give OMR a treat. Here's hoping the brine has a similar prize in stall for you

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I have one of those Maistream jackets, it's around twenty years old and still quite serviceable. I seem to remember it being reasonably pricey, slightly less than a Barbour at the time, but then a Barbour has never lasted more than ten years with me.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I used to buy Barbour but decided that they wear out far too quickly and are over-rated.

I have some mini Mars bars that are about 20 years old - as recommended by a pest controller I used once, I cut tiny slices for mouse bait in traps. They are still fine and catching mice!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”