Waistcoats

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: Waistcoats

Post by Watermole+ »

Old Man River wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:35 pm How many on TFF wear waistcoats ?

I have been casually looking around for a nice tweed waistcoat for a while now, today, I had a bit of a "windfall" ...not exactly tweed, and not exactly sure about it , it was a gift from a friend, please do give comment, good, bad or
otherwise ? :Chuckle:

On problem is that it has no pockets !

Dave
Well..it’s certainly not an every day waistcoat..I don’t think that I can comment on it..it speaks very loudly for itself!

I am one of those who always wear a waistcoat for fishing-for practical reasons. Firstly, they have to keep you warm when you prefer to fish without a jacket and secondly, a few, well-placed pockets are essential for those fishing odds and ends.

Most fall well short on both counts. The front panel is fine, but the back is often thin material which gives you a cold back. I am not a fan of those which have 1001 mini, zipped pockets..it seems to be pointless to have six micro pockets In a small area which hold almost nothing of any use when one big one gives many possibilities. Neither do I like anything that has The makers huge advertising logo on it. You should be paid to advertise their products, not the other way around!

About 2-3 years ago, I received an Orvis tweed waistcoat as a Christmas gift and although not inexpensive, it is everything that I want it for. The tweed is thick and used for both back and front so it is very cosy to wear without a coat. The buttons are good sized, strongly stitched on and the four reinforced pockets are big enough to hold anything normally carried..even a reel! In short, it is warm, practical and both nice to look at and very comfortable. I don’t have any ‘vested’ (sorry..) interest in the company, but if you are seriously looking for a really nice tweed job, this might be on your short list...

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

The thing about old stuff and old goats like me is that, even though my fishing waistcoat is 25 years old, and falling apart, I know exactly where everything is. Hook to nylon wallets are in one pocket, packs of new hooks are in another, rubber bands (used to fix two and three piece rods together) are in another and so on.
The minute I get a new garment there will be all sorts of issues around where to put stuff, what fits where, then forgetfulness as I just don’t remember where I put what. Then frustration as I empty every pocket on the riverbank looking for something that I forgot to transfer from the old to the new.
My wife does not understand this: every time we walk round a market, and there are a few over here, she offers to buy me a new fishing waistcoat, and I politely decline......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Did you give it to your friend, and ask him to give it back to you, in order to model it in front of your wife?
With the intention that she would would then say: "Oh for Heavens' Sake, go and buy a decent tweed waistcoat!"

I've not used that ploy, but it's now another arrow in my quiver.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Your waistcoat reminds me of a decoupage chest of drawers we saw whilst on holiday a few years back, if you wore the waistcoat at least all would know you had a sense of humour.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Reedling wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:11 pm Your waistcoat reminds me of a decoupage chest of drawers we saw whilst on holiday a few years back, if you wore the waistcoat at least all would know you had a sense of humour.

Unfortunately Reedling that’s where it would all go horribly wrong - :laugh1:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Those waistcoats are commonly known as Nodads... as in nodad don't make me wear this...😋🤣😎👍
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Harry wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:26 pm Those waistcoats are commonly known as Nodads... as in nodad don't make me wear this...😋🤣😎👍
:Hahaha: What a thread this is ........ a slight pun intended.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Pallenpool wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:22 pm
Reedling wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:11 pm Your waistcoat reminds me of a decoupage chest of drawers we saw whilst on holiday a few years back, if you wore the waistcoat at least all would know you had a sense of humour.

Unfortunately Reedling that’s where it would all go horribly wrong - :laugh1:
:laugh: :laugh1: :laugh: :laugh1: :laugh: :laugh:

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”