New fishing coat for Christmas 2019

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Dom Andrew
Rudd

Re: New fishing coat for Christmas 2019

Post by Dom Andrew »

A style I quite like is by Alain Paine:
Berwick Shooting Coat
Hapton Explore Jacket
Kexby Performance Coat

Dom :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

All of you who are 3XL - can get one less than 1/2 price - - on that auction site!

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Down to basics -
Apart from the price and the label, what is the difference between a £60 Tweed jacket and a £600 Tweed jacket?

And is it justified?

A daft question from deepest Yorkshire.

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

Certainly not a daft question from deepest Yorkshire where I suspect another consideration might just be the difference between one's arm length and pocket depth :Chuckle:
I suspect that, as with many things, the difference between the two extremes is quite marked in quality terms but decreases as the price increases and one finishes up paying just for the name/kudos etc.
I still have and wear an old Barbour Solway wax jacket probably 30 years old but needing regular 'work' on it and the zip is playing up. Been through a number of very cheap alternatives in the meantime but would not bother paying out for top priced alternatives at todays prices. At the time I think the Barbour was about £80 and cheap alternatives around £15 but then again I purposely abused the cheap ones and took more care of the Barbour.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Harry wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:48 am Have a look at the Derby tweed coats... very warm.... smart too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Pass- ... 49&sr=8-10
I have taken a punt at one of these and it should arrive on Tuesday. I hope it is OK, but at that price it is hardly a risk. :Hat:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Bob Brookes wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:02 am
Harry wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:48 am Have a look at the Derby tweed coats... very warm.... smart too

I have taken a punt at one of these and it should arrive on Tuesday. I hope it is OK, but at that price it is hardly a risk. :Hat:
UPDATE:
It arrived just 10 minutes after my previous mail and it seems to be a fine coat, warm and well made. The only minor issue was a zip that was initially difficult to start. After a few tries it is now well run in and seems okay. I just hope that is not a weak point, but I don't think it will be. I plan to wear it for the Redditch trip tomorrow. I just hope I am not too hot in the hall! :Ok:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Bob Brookes wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 am

UPDATE:
It arrived just 10 minutes after my previous mail and it seems to be a fine coat, warm and well made. The only minor issue was a zip that was initially difficult to start. After a few tries it is now well run in and seems okay. I just hope that is not a weak point, but I don't think it will be. I plan to wear it for the Redditch trip tomorrow. I just hope I am not too hot in the hall! :Ok:
I think you
It may well be a tad warm in it Bob... they do hold the heat in... mine is deffo a winter warmer...my zip also was a tad stiff from new but they loosen up nicely... :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Harry wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 am
Bob Brookes wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 am

UPDATE:
I think you
It may well be a tad warm in it Bob... they do hold the heat in... mine is deffo a winter warmer...my zip also was a tad stiff from new but they loosen up nicely... :Thumb:
I'll wear it initially and have a lighter backup jacket in the car. Thanks for the heads up Harry it is great value for just £60. Lets face it you can pay that for a shirt! :cheers:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Good plan Bob... :Thumb: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I have one of those and love it extremely good value for money