Favourite Boots

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Re: Favourite Boots

Post by Phil Arnott »

I use a pair of boots for sea fishing from rocky shores and wet grip is the most important attribute. I use these for general dry conditions otherwise I'm wearing wellingtons or waders. My foot size is 11.5 wide and all my fishing footwear I buy in size 13 which allows for plenty of socks or some circulation in warm weather. I've never had any problems with blisters or sore feet after going to the size 13s.

Being easy to clean is also a requirement for me. I don't like soles which clog up with mud.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Duckett wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:34 pm Either Neoprene Muckboots with Supertracks screw in boot studs or Altberg leather walking boots, Yorkshire’s finest (why is it that UK walking boot makers always have German sounding names?).
I paid best part of £80 for a pair of neoprene Muckboots and after 2 months with very little use there was a 3 inch split in the back of the ankle. Was I disappointed, you bet. I'll never buy Muckboots again.
I have a pair of Dunlop steel toecap boots that I bought and used for caving nearly 40 years ago and they are still going strong with no leaks. The only reason I don't wear them for fishing is because my feet get cold in them due to the steel toecaps.
I also have a pair of Altberg boots which are great. I use them for hill walking and they are comfortable and don't give me blisters so what more could you want?
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Coral Maestro wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:32 pm
Duckett wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:34 pm Either Neoprene Muckboots with Supertracks screw in boot studs or Altberg leather walking boots, Yorkshire’s finest (why is it that UK walking boot makers always have German sounding names?).
I paid best part of £80 for a pair of neoprene Muckboots and after 2 months with very little use there was a 3 inch split in the back of the ankle. Was I disappointed, you bet. I'll never buy Muckboots again.
I have a pair of Dunlop steel toecap boots that I bought and used for caving nearly 40 years ago and they are still going strong with no leaks. The only reason I don't wear them for fishing is because my feet get cold in them due to the steel toecaps.
I also have a pair of Altberg boots which are great. I use them for hill walking and they are comfortable and don't give me blisters so what more could you want?
Sorry about your bad experience with Muckboots. I’ve not had any complaints so far.

As for Altberg, I bought them on the recommendation of my chiropodist when I had a foot problem and needed a proper wide fitting. No one else does that at an affordable price and I am convinced that they are the finest walking boots I’ve ever had. Certainly the only leather ones I’ve had that didn’t need a lot of walking in and several blisters!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

Muckboot Muckmasters for me warm and comfatable even after 3mile walks with the dog

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Maybe I was unlucky with my Muckboots. Perhaps a Friday afternoon pair!
The Altbergs were comfy straight out of the box. I did an 18 mile walk over Kinder Scout the first time I used them and have been very happy with them.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Shimmer45
Minnow

Post by Shimmer45 »

got a set of british army cold weather goretex which are great but the soft soles have fallen apart :/
i guess there is not an option to resole them so will need to replace them, just a shame they dont have a harder sole

Marmelade
Rudd

Post by Marmelade »

Oh, without a doubt Brasher Country Walker. They`re the best boots ever. I`ve had all kinds of expensive brands, Scarpa, all sorts. Brasher are just so good. They were selling them at Go outdoors for 75 pounds which is a lovely price. I usually walk to the lake, around it but if carping can walk miles.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Haix ex army boots( predecessor and similar to Altberg l think). I bought a pair three years ago ,second hand from a surplus supplier for £32 . I was so impressed l that l ordered a second pair. One pair to be worn to destruction ,the second pair for "Best".
I've yet to wear the Best pair. I've worn the original pair almost every day for three years,working ,walking, fishing ,ferreting ,stalking ,driving, even running and they still clean up well enough for posh use. They are my everyday footwear ,literally l get up in the morning and put them on and they often stay on my feet until bedtime . I 've started to suspect a possible leak over the last week or so.,but bearing mind that they were second-hand army surplus when l bought them 3 years ago l've no complaints.
20201028_071858_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”