"Tragedy" no not the Bee Gee's

Enter this forum only if you dare.
John_Moore
Silver Bream

"Tragedy" no not the Bee Gee's

Post by John_Moore »

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the nothing to do with traditional fishing section but anyway it's here.

I arrived at one of my favourite carp swims just before daybreak in July last year, it was a Sunday.
The old reservoir is about 10 acres in size with depths up to 32ft at the dam wall. Years ago it used to feed the old bleach mill, alas a small housing estate has since removed any sign of the mill.
I was fishing in a spot 8ft deep a rod length out, a piece of plasticine a foot from a size 8 Richard Walker carp hook loaded with a chunk of hot dog.
I landed a nice common of 17lb 8oz as the sun came over the eastern hills behind me, it was 6.30am and I had been alone until....
By the way until I go any further, that common carp I spotted a few weeks prior in a spawning frenzy while on a recky with my son, this was the fifth time I had fished for it in the past two weeks.

Anyway a younger gentleman (when I say younger I mean probably mid 30's) arrived by bicycle and preceded to set up in the swim on the opposite bank.
He rolled his bicycle down the slope, setting it by a bush, removed his rucksack, untied his rod and seat from the crossbar and started to tackle up.
I mean he was 50 yards across the other side of the lake, what bother could be be to me!
A rod came out of the rod bag and in quick haste the sections were put together.
The rod was layed against a tree as he twisted and pushed two bank stick's into the rocky ground.
He rushed over to his rucksack retrieving a reel which in double speed rushed back to his rod, reel fitted to the rod handle, the line run through the rings, running back to his rucksack he obtained a small box and running again to his rod fixed a float and hook, he was ready to cast out and angle.
No....
Back to his rucksack he got his bait box, back to his rod, bait on hook and....
He was ready to cast out and angle. Or so I thought....
I sat back to relax, he had worn me out with all the running back and forth, then suddenly....
The whole thing started again with a second rod.
Any way after 10 more minutes of mayhem he was sat on his seat watching a float on one rod and a ledger on another.
The world was at peace again and it was only 8.30am.

There is a public footpath on the opposite bank that is why I fish on the field side where there are only horses to contend with and to be honest there no bother.
Around 9.30 I could see two young women with a dog walking along the top path behind the angler in question, they were throwing a ball for their dog with one of those curved tubes and the dog was yapping and running back and forth to retrieve it.
As they got closer, suddenly the ball came over the angler's head and, plop, right between his rods as the small Jack Russell came hurtling down the bank, diving between the rods to collect the yellow ball.
Up he jumped up, (the angler that is, not the dog) turned round and quite placidly voiced his opinion as the two women apologised for their error, calling back their Jessy, Jessy come on, JESSY COME HERE...
As they went on with their Jack Russell the angler settled himself down on his seat and preceded to quietly fish again.
The sun was up and with blue sky and little cloud it was going to be a warm day.
An hour had gone by and I could see on the lower path a man and a woman walking two Rottweilers and a smaller dog.
As they moved closer to the angler the dogs were running in front them play fighting and occasionally running down the bank, jumping into the lake and swimming around before running back to their owners.
Big dogs Rottweilers....!
I think you can work out what was going to happen....
Yep that's right. The three dogs ran down the bank knocking over rods and bait etc, jumped into the water swimming around and barking their enjoyment before being called back to their owners who profusely apologised to the now quite irate angler.
Calming down and a tad wetter than when he started the young angler set up his rods and tackle then settled down to fish again, all was quite for another hour or so.
When.
Yep a couple of fellas walking along the top path throwing a frisbee for their dog.
As they got closer I thought, no they couldn't, could they.
They did.
They wouldn't be able to see the angler from the top footpath, as the frisbee came over the young angler's head and plop, landing in the water right between his rods, dog hurtling down the bank all excited after his pink frisbee, splashing and barking, "oh no not again" I could hear the young angler calling out as he turned to face the two men which he gave a torrent of abuse as they in turn repeated several times "we are really sorry we didn't know you were there" calling back their dog in the process, if I remember rightly it was called Mutley.
I must admit the younger angler had some determination as he set up his rods yet again, a lesser man might have had more than enough and crumbled under the onslaught.
He hadn't caught a fish in the time he was here and he was still fishing at 12.30 when I packed up ready for home.
I can only surmise that his afternoon was more peaceful than his morning, I hope so anyway.
So there it is, you couldn't make it up if you were Peter Kay.
Best to all John.

Northern Eel
Chub

Re: "Tragedy" no not the Bee Gee's

Post by Northern Eel »

Is this Worthington lakes John?
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

No the No2 lodge at Heapy on the Wigan ticket.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

John_Moore wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 pm No the No2 lodge at Heapy on the Wigan ticket.
Ah right, the housing estate on the bleach works made me think it was Worthington lakes.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

John_Moore wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:09 pm I wasn't sure whether to put this in the nothing to do with traditional fishing section but anyway it's here.

I arrived at one of my favourite carp swims just before daybreak in July last year, it was a Sunday.
The old reservoir is about 10 acres in size with depths up to 32ft at the dam wall. Years ago it used to feed the old bleach mill, alas a small housing estate has since removed any sign of the mill.
I was fishing in a spot 8ft deep a rod length out, a piece of plasticine a foot from a size 8 Richard Walker carp hook loaded with a chunk of hot dog.
I landed a nice common of 17lb 8oz as the sun came over the eastern hills behind me, it was 6.30am and I had been alone until....
By the way until I go any further, that common carp I spotted a few weeks prior in a spawning frenzy while on a recky with my son, this was the fifth time I had fished for it in the past two weeks.

Anyway a younger gentleman (when I say younger I mean probably mid 30's) arrived by bicycle and preceded to set up in the swim on the opposite bank.
He rolled his bicycle down the slope, setting it by a bush, removed his rucksack, untied his rod and seat from the crossbar and started to tackle up.
I mean he was 50 yards across the other side of the lake, what bother could be be to me!
A rod came out of the rod bag and in quick haste the sections were put together.
The rod was layed against a tree as he twisted and pushed two bank stick's into the rocky ground.
He rushed over to his rucksack retrieving a reel which in double speed rushed back to his rod, reel fitted to the rod handle, the line run through the rings, running back to his rucksack he obtained a small box and running again to his rod fixed a float and hook, he was ready to cast out and angle.
No....
Back to his rucksack he got his bait box, back to his rod, bait on hook and....
He was ready to cast out and angle. Or so I thought....
I sat back to relax, he had worn me out with all the running back and forth, then suddenly....
The whole thing started again with a second rod.
Any way after 10 more minutes of mayhem he was sat on his seat watching a float on one rod and a ledger on another.
The world was at peace again and it was only 8.30am.

There is a public footpath on the opposite bank that is why I fish on the field side where there are only horses to contend with and to be honest there no bother.
Around 9.30 I could see two young women with a dog walking along the top path behind the angler in question, they were throwing a ball for their dog with one of those curved tubes and the dog was yapping and running back and forth to retrieve it.
As they got closer, suddenly the ball came over the angler's head and, plop, right between his rods as the small Jack Russell came hurtling down the bank, diving between the rods to collect the yellow ball.
Up he jumped up, (the angler that is, not the dog) turned round and quite placidly voiced his opinion as the two women apologised for their error, calling back their Jessy, Jessy come on, JESSY COME HERE...
As they went on with their Jack Russell the angler settled himself down on his seat and preceded to quietly fish again.
The sun was up and with blue sky and little cloud it was going to be a warm day.
An hour had gone by and I could see on the lower path a man and a woman walking two Rottweilers and a smaller dog.
As they moved closer to the angler the dogs were running in front them play fighting and occasionally running down the bank, jumping into the lake and swimming around before running back to their owners.
Big dogs Rottweilers....!
I think you can work out what was going to happen....
Yep that's right. The three dogs ran down the bank knocking over rods and bait etc, jumped into the water swimming around and barking their enjoyment before being called back to their owners who profusely apologised to the now quite irate angler.
Calming down and a tad wetter than when he started the young angler set up his rods and tackle then settled down to fish again, all was quite for another hour or so.
When.
Yep a couple of fellas walking along the top path throwing a frisbee for their dog.
As they got closer I thought, no they couldn't, could they.
They did.
They wouldn't be able to see the angler from the top footpath, as the frisbee came over the young angler's head and plop, landing in the water right between his rods, dog hurtling down the bank all excited after his pink frisbee, splashing and barking, "oh no not again" I could hear the young angler calling out as he turned to face the two men which he gave a torrent of abuse as they in turn repeated several times "we are really sorry we didn't know you were there" calling back their dog in the process, if I remember rightly it was called Mutley.
I must admit the younger angler had some determination as he set up his rods yet again, a lesser man might have had more than enough and crumbled under the onslaught.
He hadn't caught a fish in the time he was here and he was still fishing at 12.30 when I packed up ready for home.
I can only surmise that his afternoon was more peaceful than his morning, I hope so anyway.
So there it is, you couldn't make it up if you were Peter Kay.
Best to all John.
Great story thank you for sharing :Hahaha:

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”