Oakwood pond

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Dean194bt
Stickleback

Oakwood pond

Post by Dean194bt »

Oak wood pond is a small but ancient pond on the edge of Harlow in Essex. It has recently been renovated and at the moment is fish free, but previously has held a good head of roach and tench. It originally belonged to the diocese Waltham Abbey and I imagine it held carp for the consumption of the monks. I have only ever fished here in the day and would never fish here late at night mainly due to the experiences I have had while walking my dogs around it at night.
These include an ominous feeling that you are not wanted there - the feeling of being followed and more.

I once popped down in the evening with the dogs - it is only ten minutes walk from my house. It was one of those nights when the hairs were up on the back of my neck and the dogs who usually tear around stayed close by making low threatening growls. Over the water orbs of light seemed to shoot over and across the water stood a figure. The more I looked at it the more horrified I was. I just new I shouldn't stay, but leaving seemed so difficult. It was as if the path that lead from the pond seemed to stretch out ahead of me and I just could not get off it - and then I was back into normality. I have not been back there since in the day or night. I consider myself to be very sceptical of these sort of things and have never experienced anything since and hope I never do. You may think that I am a crank and I don't blame you if you do - but I stand by what I experienced.

Dean194bt

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Oakwood pond

Post by Dave Burr »

Probably one of the local carpers 'guesting'.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Dean194bt wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:03 pm Oak wood pond is a small but ancient pond on the edge of Harlow in Essex. It has recently been renovated and at the moment is fish free, but previously has held a good head of roach and tench. It originally belonged to the diocese Waltham Abbey and I imagine it held carp for the consumption of the monks. I have only ever fished here in the day and would never fish here late at night mainly due to the experiences I have had while walking my dogs around it at night.
These include an ominous feeling that you are not wanted there - the feeling of being followed and more.

I once popped down in the evening with the dogs - it is only ten minutes walk from my house. It was one of those nights when the hairs were up on the back of my neck and the dogs who usually tear around stayed close by making low threatening growls. Over the water orbs of light seemed to shoot over and across the water stood a figure. The more I looked at it the more horrified I was. I just new I shouldn't stay, but leaving seemed so difficult. It was as if the path that lead from the pond seemed to stretch out ahead of me and I just could not get off it - and then I was back into normality. I have not been back there since in the day or night. I consider myself to be very sceptical of these sort of things and have never experienced anything since and hope I never do. You may think that I am a crank and I don't blame you if you do - but I stand by what I experienced.

Dean194bt

/quote]
A disturbing experience Dean. It reminded me at little of an account from my brother, who is not given to fancy...he was walking home one night along a rural canal when he saw an large orange "orb", about the size of a football, rise from the bank and cross the water, before vanishing. David, being a practical sort of chap, thought it might be a will o' the wisp...but I wonder...

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Knowing Harlow VERY well I'd venture its some local lads off their faces on Drugs playing with Glo-sticks... :whistle: :Wink: that said there are waters that have a bad feeling... Parsonage Farm just off the A 414 towards Writtle is one such water...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”