Somerleyton hall Suffolk

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Steve59

Somerleyton hall Suffolk

Post by Steve59 »

The lake at Somerleyton hall Suffolk was a secret testing ground for amphibious tanks during the Second World War, it's extremely deep and is the grave of soldiers who tested the tanks that failed and sunk to unrecoverable depths in excess of 100 meters.
The fishing in its deepest parts is restricted but I've personally witnessed unusual swells and disturbances from the bank and the whole lake has a feel that's not what I consider normal.
Haunted? Perhaps strange aura......definitely.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Somerleyton hall Suffolk

Post by Tengisgol »

Spooky! Any pics of the lake Steve?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've had a very strange experience in bright sunlight mid-afternoon at a deep estate lake. At the time I put the unusual feel of the place down to the brooding atmosphere that I think we naturally sense when close to very deep water. But on reflection, I think there was something more intense, possibly even more malign than that. As I beat a fairly hasty retreat I kept looking back over my shoulder as it un-nerved me so much. I subsequently found out that a WW2 GI had drowned there.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Norfolk not Suffolk, I think.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

It's Suffolk, but only just, right on the border, I stayed in Somerleyton a few weeks ago, I didn't get to visit the hall though, even though I've stayed there a few times, thinking I should have now! sounds like an interesting lake!
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

To be more accurate I should have said Fritton lake which is owed by Somerleyton estates, sorry I blame the alcohol.
Here's a link.
http://www.frittonlakeoc.co.uk/lake/fishing/
To clarify, Somerleyton hall is in Suffolk and Fritton lake is in Norfolk, the Somerleyton estate is spread over the two counties.

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

Did a bit of research and a tank is apparently still a at the bottom on the lake. Also a Mosquito night fighter flown by two American airmen in November 1944 which was chasing a V1 rocket was shot down accidentally ( so called friendly fire) and landed in the lake and sank. One other fighter plane landed in the lake but can't find out anymore about it. Sounds like a lot went on here in WW2. RIP the aircrews involved.
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

A place of my childhood was Fritton, just about far enough on a bike from Caister it was. Good pike and bream fishing there in the sixties and early seventies...lots of Jacks reported now.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

An uncle of mine worked on the Somerleyton estate when he was young. Are you sure on the depth 100 metres is 300 ft. I'll have to look up the mossie story

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

GazTheAngler wrote:An uncle of mine worked on the Somerleyton estate when he was young. Are you sure on the depth 100 metres is 300 ft. I'll have to look up the mossie story
I've probably got it wrong, I should think it's more likely to be 100 foot. :oops:

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”