Mistaken Identity

This forum is for discussing dace.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Mistaken Identity

Post by Dave Burr »

It took a whole year of catching minnows before I finally caught a 'proper' fish, a dace of 6". I was so proud I took it home to show my mum and dad, that was in 1965. I went on to catch dace frequently in the swirling waters of French Weir on the Tone and later at Yeovilton Weir on the Yeo, they were the bread and butter fish with the roach making the sandwich filling. I still catch them when trotting maggots on the Wye and I am still always happy to slip them back after admiring their delicate form. Quite how anybody can fail to spot the difference between dace and chub is beyond me.

Hannay
Perch

Post by Hannay »

Plenty of dace in the River Cam last year. Had some days where that was all i'd catch. Not entirely sure if the river holds anything around the 1lb mark. A beautiful fish and one of my favourites.

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Lechmere wrote:It took a whole year of catching minnows before I finally caught a 'proper' fish, a dace of 6". I was so proud I took it home to show my mum and dad, that was in 1965. I went on to catch dace frequently in the swirling waters of French Weir on the Tone and later at Yeovilton Weir on the Yeo, they were the bread and butter fish with the roach making the sandwich filling. I still catch them when trotting maggots on the Wye and I am still always happy to slip them back after admiring their delicate form. Quite how anybody can fail to spot the difference between dace and chub is beyond me.

'Dented dace', I was always taught in respect of telling them apart from small chub, as a lad. (The dented bit meaning their concave dorsal fin, against the convex dorsal of the chub.)

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

BigFish wrote:Wargrave as on the Thames?

I often fish around Shiplake.
That's the one.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well if you fancy a session from my punt pm me.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks BigFish. When I am up that way I usually fish with my dad (weirpool in the garden). He also has access to fish from Henley sailing club and a boat at Bushnells, so pretty spoilt for choice

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Is that the weirpool behind Shiplake lock? You are spoilt for choice! That looks very barbely!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Fat Fish Floats wrote:The river Beult, my local & favorite river, here in Maidstone, kent is awash with Dace. A lovely little fish, keeps you busy when the others aint biting. My son and I caught over 200 in a 5 and a bit hour session on one occasion, great fun on very light tackle. Lovely.
I can share your delight in the Dace and the good sport to be had on the Medway. On ultra light tackle they are not to be despised and last summer on the Sports ground stretch in Tonbridge I had one that went a cracking ten ounces!. .

Whereabouts on the river in Maidstone do you fish? I used to fish in the town stretch and in the Millennium Park a few years ago and feel a visit may be overdue.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

BigFish wrote:Is that the weirpool behind Shiplake lock? You are spoilt for choice! That looks very barbely!
No, St Patrick stream in Twyford. Although having the boat makes most of the weirs fishable, as you will know

Return to “Dace (Leuciscus leuciscus)”