Cold Water Dace.

This forum is for discussing dace.
Moley
Brown Trout

Cold Water Dace.

Post by Moley »

River Blackwater 1300-1500hrs Yesterday

Brrrrr Chilly, the trick on a day like this is to keep moving. Trotting is a good mobile style so 'pin and Fred Taylor Trotter, 3lb Maxima and wag&drag. Bait, red grubs!

Lots of depth adjusting and shot fiddling until bites suddenly showed up in a nice tree girt swim :Thumb:

Could they be roach?

Could they?

No, a 2lb, or so, chub splashed his way in. Still in these conditions most welcome :Hat:

Next run through, well inching the float through, if truth be told, resulted in what looked like his smaller brother coming to net.

But on unhooking, the look of the scales and delicacy of the mouth warranted the Fat Angler checking the fins.......glad I did :Wink:

]Image

Any 12oz dace is worthy of his portrait being taken, even if only by a man with no photographic skills whatsoever!

No more bites after this.

The short journey home was accompanied by a silly grin and ridiculously bad singing :Hahaha:

As ever,.......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Gurn
Chub

Re: Cold Water Dace.

Post by Gurn »

Excellent, Moley..I do love a dace. They bring a silly grin to my face, as well!

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Well done Moley, the Blackwaters hidden treasures!......

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

A dace to treasure, well done Moley.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Gurn wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:10 pm Excellent, Moley..I do love a dace. They bring a silly grin to my face, as well!

Only roach, rudd, dace and gudgeon seem to result in me grinning like a man bereft of worries nowadays. :Hat:

The bigger fish like carp, barbel et al whilst often magnificent, just don't induce the same feelings. I can't explain why this is so.......it just is!

Alas, where are my manners; many thanks to those who took the time to leave kind words. It really makes a difference to me. :Thumb:

As ever,.......

Moley Image
Say aye tae'a pie!

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

This is so very true, Moley.
Russ

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

What a magnificent pipe your sporting, must dig my one out. :Hat:

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Paul D wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:12 pm What a magnificent pipe your sporting, must dig my one out. :Hat:
I used to smoke a cherry wood pipe with a pipe tobacco I think was called eringmore? that was some forty years ago!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Sussex Micky wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:02 pm
Paul D wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:12 pm What a magnificent pipe your sporting, must dig my one out. :Hat:
I used to smoke a cherry wood pipe with a pipe tobacco I think was called eringmore? that was some forty years ago!
You can still get it Micky :eyebrow:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Ogden's Exmoor Hunt was my favourite :Hat:

Sadly this is no longer made but recently I have found a brilliant substitute made by the Kendal Tobacco People :Thumb:

I don't smoke much nowadays only whilst out fishing to keep the mossies at bay. :Wink:

As ever,..............

Mokey.
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Dace (Leuciscus leuciscus)”