A Drop Me a Line Water..

This forum belongs to Temple Pool.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

A Drop Me a Line Water..

Post by Gary Bills »

"Temple Pool" is Hexton Manor near Hitchin, and it features heavily in Drop Me A Line as a favoured haunt of Richard Walker and the home of the infamous "Pickle Barrel". This was a common estimated by Walker to be in the region of 25lbs or so: for although Walker managed several double figure fish from the pond, the largest resident was to evade him forever. The pool in the late 40s and 50s also seems to have contained big roach with "black-spot" and some trout. Kevin Clifford in A History of Carp Fishing, if my memory serves me correctly, states that the pool was drained temporarily in the mid-1940s, and several carp in excess of 20lbs were weighed. No doubt, Pickle Barrel was among them!
Cursory research on the web indicates that Hexton Manor, aka Temple Pool, is now a favoured spot for summer weddings. I wonder if anyone is allowed to fish there? The bridegroom, perhaps, and the best man?
The pond in Walker's day was very clear, gin clear, and the carp were both easily spooked and easily observed: giving Walker his insights that carp are almost neurotic when it comes to feeling resistance. For this reason alone, it is a most important heritage water for carp anglers...
(The typical modern solution, of course, is to use a semi-fixed 4oz bolt-rig and one inch link... How times change!)

Snape
Bailiff

Re: A Drop Me a Line Water..

Post by Snape »

Hexton Manor lake satellite photo http://g.co/maps/g83ny
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:Hexton Manor lake satellite photo http://g.co/maps/g83ny
It looks good, doesn't it?

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Well I like the look of it. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I really want to fish it! Perhaps we can prepare the ground for a June visit, if possible? -make enquiries?
In Walker's day, by the way, the telling baits there were lobworms and floating crust.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Looks a lovely place.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

farliesbirthday wrote:I really want to fish it! Perhaps we can prepare the ground for a June visit, if possible? -make enquiries?
In Walker's day, by the way, the telling baits there were lobworms and floating crust.
Fantastic idea! :thumb:

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

J.T wrote:
farliesbirthday wrote:I really want to fish it! Perhaps we can prepare the ground for a June visit, if possible? -make enquiries?
I think so too...Ok, it's a wedding venue these days; but if we put a small group together, we could stay in the place for a day or two - perhaps mid-week at a discount - and get to use the pool for fishing, hopefully...

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

farliesbirthday wrote:
J.T wrote:
I think so too...Ok, it's a wedding venue these days; but if we put a small group together, we could stay in the place for a day or two - perhaps mid-week at a discount - and get to use the pool for fishing, hopefully...
Sounds like a first class plan FB. :hat:

Count me in if a place is available of course.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

OK J.T - June's a way off, to allow us all to get some funds together, - so I'll drop them a polite email, asking if guests can fish the lake, and about mid-week discounts etc... I shall report back...!

Return to “Temple Pool”