Martin James

This forum belongs to the River Kennet.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Martin James

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Martin is a legend, with more than a few stories about the old days of fishing including tales of Redmire and all those who made it famous. He really is a wealth of information when it comes to the Walker, BB era and loves to talk about it with like minded anglers.

He also knows the River Kennet like the back of his hand and is willing to guide anyone who asks, free of charge, such is his generosity. All he asks is that you make a donation to his charity The Army Benevolant Fund, a very worthy cause. As he did for me he will show you the spots, tactics, baits and even make the tea, and if your really lucky you'll get a bowl of his wife Kate's splendid Hot Pot!!!

Email Martin for details. martin@flyfishing.plus.com
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Martin James

Post by Mark »

Looking forward to Martin's posts
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Oh, ok. I've fished the Brimpton and Newbury stretches with Martin, and loved it there!! :wink:

Is that far from the stretch at Thatcham? Not all that familiar with the area to be honest.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I used to be in the Wasing syndicate in the mid 90s and fished around Brimpton mill - a lovely stretch.
I once met Bob James walking the banks with his tackle there and after swapping pleasantries we went in opposite directions. I was fish spotting and having walked upstream turned to head back downstream again and found what looked like a perfect spot and tried to quietly move into a position to look into the swim hoping to see some barbel on the gravel. Unfortunately I stretched too far and the next thing I knew there was an almighty splash and I was in the Kennet; turning for the bank all I could see was Bob James in the next swim downstream looking furious! :hide: Needless to say I climbed out, profusely apologised and headed home. :oops:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

PondPikey

Post by PondPikey »

Snape wrote:I used to be in the Wasing syndicate in the mid 90s and fished around Brimpton mill - a lovely stretch.
I once met Bob James walking the banks with his tackle there and after swapping pleasantries we went in opposite directions. I was fish spotting and having walked upstream turned to head back downstream again and found what looked like a perfect spot and tried to quietly move into a position to look into the swim hoping to see some barbel on the gravel. Unfortunately I stretched too far and the next thing I knew there was an almighty splash and I was in the Kennet; turning for the bank all I could see was Bob James in the next swim downstream looking furious! :hide: Needless to say I climbed out, profusely apologised and headed home. :oops:
Comedy Gold! :oops:

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Oh Snape! :laugh:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Return to “River Kennet”