Spotting Fish on the Loddon

This forum belongs to the River Loddon.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Spotting Fish on the Loddon

Post by Olly »

Yep I remember all those and the 2 pits on the other side of the river. Plus the smaller 'treed' one nearer the Lands End Pub. RMC had all 4 pits &the River.

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

Dear Dan and other friends,

I also fish the FAS Loddon waters and can vouch for the value of some closed season fish spotting. I have fished Carter's Mill more and the faster back water beyond the mill affords good opportunity for Chevin spotting. Here I have seen fish in the 5lb bracket swimming in twos and threes and even tempted some with some mini marshmallows-pink ones so help me! My personal best (weight wise) chub went just over 7lb and came from Carter's Mill (slower section), just an ounce or two below the club record. You can read more about these chub in my piece 'the aesthetic chub' a member's article on the Farnham Angling Society website.

Carters Mill can be very hit or miss. I've had brilliant days there and a few complete blanks-despite ringing the changes. But you do see some sights. On my last visit there, just before the close season started I had a mink patrol up and down in front of me, doing the doggy paddle. It was not concerned by me in the least!
BW
Bob

Dzpotter

Post by Dzpotter »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I read your article on the FAS website, very enjoyable. I will definitely try some of your tips.

I have my eye on a couple of swims on the faster backwater at Sindlesham Mill which I'll be trying out this season.

Cheers

Dan

Return to “River Loddon”