Is the river season finished for some?

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Troydog
Tench

Is the river season finished for some?

Post by Troydog »

I just watched Louise Lear, one of the beebs senior meteorologists presenting the ‘weather for the week ahead’. The cover photo for her national broadcast was a shot of the Wye going over the top of the Vicky bridge in Hereford yesterday.

Louise went on to describe the ongoing jet stream bringing more cyclones from the Atlantic, some of which are expected to cover the whole country, over the next ten days or so. And after that? More of the same, she said.

So I put on some rain gear and walked the 250 metres from my house to the bridge. The river is just about back in its banks, but it is rising once more in mid Wales. It’ll be fishable tomorrow, but it will be scratching for a couple of hours in the wind and the rain with a feeder tight into the bank, rod pointing straight to the bait and a monkey climber bite indicator.

Never mind, I’ve had a great season with my floats and centre pin. Hopefully, there is always next year.......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Aitch
Pike

Re: Is the river season finished for some?

Post by Aitch »

My local rivers are in flood and it takes a while for them to subside... I may get out once or twice in the coming few weeks if the rain holds off
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I think this has been the poorest winter river fishing seasons I have had for many years,largely due to excess water entering our local rivers including the Trent on a regular basis.Whilst others were able to capitalise on a rising river Trent to catch barbel I never seemed to organise myself to be there at the right time.Similarly my pike fishing trips have only resulted in a few jacks and my ambition to catch a Zander on the Trent has been thwarted.Not long left now so I better apply myself!
Mark Davies

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

It is certainly looking unlikely that the Trent will be safely fishable for a couple of weeks. I would like to think that I may get on the boat in the marina before the season's end. Fingers crossed. :Beg:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The Thames takes about four to five days to peak and triple that before it might be fishable, so I don't see myself out fishing again this season. But at least I made best of the few opportunities available this winter and caught quite a pike, so not grumbling!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Yes I looks like it’s all over when the forecasters are saying we’re in for more of the same. I’ve had a lovely season, spent some cracking days on the river in the company of close friends and managed a few handsome kippers into the bargain... cant really complain if that’s it till June
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you for your feedback gentlemen. As I turn 70 this week and the kids all descend on me from London, I feel so grateful for the river. I love wandering the banks as one of the bailiffs, I enjoy gentle working parties ( I used to get in the river with sub Aqua gear and direct operations from the middle of the river). I enjoy helping some of our visitors and pointing them in the right direction. I enjoy monitoring algal bloom for the Wye and Usk foundation, monitoring oxygen levels and temperatures for the Environment Agency.
So maybe the season is over, but there is so much more to enjoy.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It think it is for me trotting - rivers 1/2 mile wide in places! Bumping a large lead tho' may work if it clears a bit.

Never mind all this water has given the salmon something to swim up - and over the weirs I hope.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

My season on the rivers is just about to start :-)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

My wife is away all next week and I had planned six days on six different rivers. Looks like that one's gone down the pan. :(
I might find a still water or two and try for the perch instead.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “River Wye”