Over the bridge

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Troydog
Tench

Over the bridge

Post by Troydog »

Paul F posted a shot of the Vicky Bridge in Hereford yesterday, but the river has exceeded Environment Agency forecasts and it peaked at 6.1 metres this morning. Now the water is going over the top of the Vicky Bridge, but the old bridge still stands....Image
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Over the bridge

Post by Dave Burr »

Stand on that with your waders on Tim, it'd be a lovely trotting spot.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Well I've looked at my stick floats Dave, and I just don't think I'd get the presentation.
John Harding

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

There are some awesome photos from Bredwardine around. It does make you wonder the extent to which the fish get displaced and particularly the fry.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I agree Tengisgol, this flood is so powerful there could well be some fundamental changes to the river bed and to the banks. Great care will be needed by fishers between now and March 14th
John Harding

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:03 pm There are some awesome photos from Bredwardine around. It does make you wonder the extent to which the fish get displaced and particularly the fry.
Without doubt there will be casualties Phil but winter floods are all part of the river's cycle and summer floods do far more damage. The big summer flood of '07 took much of a years fry with it, the Teme was particularly badly hit and most of the adult barbel population was swept into the Severn with reports of many casualties turning up in the Sea.

I do recall finding a lot of perch dead in some bushes after a summer Wye flood and presume they had been caught out by fast retreating water or were they dead before they got stuck in the branches?

The Severn has had thousands of fish turn up at the cricket ground and other flood areas after a big spate - I well recall the pictures of 2lb+ roach being netted before the herons got at them, again in '07. But walking the Wye after a flood I've not found any stranded fish so I presume the chub that I've watched feeding on top of the usual banks, actually make it back into the main flow.

Don't worry mate, there'll be a few waiting for you on your next visit.

As for the changes to the river Tim, that's just part of Wye fishing as well you know. It only takes a rock or tree to wedge in the right/wrong spot and massive changes can occur to the river bed or the banks. But those new features are often incredible places to fish for a few years until more floods erode them. We've had 10' +' deep holes appear over a winter and the barbel love 'em.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Spot on Dave - we’ve all got to go with the flow whatever happens.....
John Harding

Return to “River Wye”