Fishing on the Wye tomorrow (Friday 27th) any thoughts on water levels?

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Fishing on the Wye tomorrow (Friday 27th) any thoughts on water levels?

Post by Tengisgol »

Just trying to guess what conditions we might face tomorrow, as we do have the option of a stillwater available.

From what I can see, the levels have been dropping this week and we’re at about 1.7m (acceptable) but the forecast is for rain all day from Builth to Bredwardine. My assumption is we’ll be facing a river back on the rise again.

Is anyone local able to give a view on that?

(there are always spots to fish but it may tip the balance about heading to calmer waters)

Thanks in anticipation!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Troydog
Tench

Re: Fishing on the Wye tomorrow (Friday 27th) any thoughts on water levels?

Post by Troydog »

Hi Tengisgol
The Wye fished beautifully this afternoon and I had 14 perch averaging one and a half pounds each, just like it says in Mr Crabtree. The level will drop slightly overnight and most swims will be fishable at 1.5 metres above summer level. Lovely colour in the water and it is 7.4 deg C with the likelihood of that temperature increasing tomorrow. Please let me know if you w2ould like any more detail.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

According to the Met Office there is a fairly thin band of rain crossing Wales and it will diminish overnight. It takes twelve hours for floodwater at Glasbury to get to Hereford so, depending where you are fishing, you should have a fairly steady river.
Tight lines anyway!!
John Harding

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

That’s fab, thank-you so much. I thought you’d be on the river today and would have a report!

:wave:

Now then, where is Dave Burr to tell me which beat at Bredwardine it is to find those roach!

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I have spent quite a lot of time looking for roach in the Bredwardine area a few years ago. I was never very successful and nor were some of my fellow piscators. I used to fish from Letton Court (left bank) and there are some fabulous looking roach swims on the three beats but no bags of redfins came our way.
Contrast that with Hereford club water, even out of town, and you can get 40lb of quality roach - several 'two's' have been reported by reliable sources but I've only had fish to 1lb 14 ozs. I am not complaining.
Monnington was the last stretch where I caught a proper net of roach upriver but that was several year ago.
John Harding

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tengisgol wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:18 pm That’s fab, thank-you so much. I thought you’d be on the river today and would have a report!

Now then, where is Dave Burr to tell me which beat at Bredwardine it is to find those roach!
Roach, what roach? :tea:

I doubt very much there's a single roach or dace on the Red Lion at the moment Phil as they all tend to travel down to the town area where the temperature will be a smidge higher and the predator count lower. It's their usual pattern before the spawning period. I'll let you know if I find a few mate but I reckon it's a summer pursuit.

I had a look at the river today and have to say it looked very fishable. It may come up a bit but it won't make much difference to performance, it's been up and down like a loose girls knickers for over a month so it's temperature that will have a bigger effect than height. If it does come up, I've had some nice trotting days fishing back currents, even quite small ones in the edge at places like 'Bent Post' . I doubt you'll be publicising many sexy winter wading pictures this time around though.

Tight lines :Hat: :fishing1:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Good luck in your quest Phil. One way or another I am sure you will have a great time.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:34 pm
Tengisgol wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:18 pm That’s fab, thank-you so much. I thought you’d be on the river today and would have a report!

Roach, what roach? :tea:

I doubt very much there's a single roach or dace on the Red Lion at the moment Phil as they all tend to travel down to the town area where the temperature will be a smidge higher and the predator count lower. It's their usual pattern before the spawning period. I'll let you know if I find a few mate but I reckon it's a summer pursuit.

I had a look at the river today and have to say it looked very fishable. It may come up a bit but it won't make much difference to performance, it's been up and down like a loose girls knickers for over a month so it's temperature that will have a bigger effect than height. If it does come up, I've had some nice trotting days fishing back currents, even quite small ones in the edge at places like 'Bent Post' . I doubt you'll be publicising many sexy winter wading pictures this time around though.

Tight lines :Hat: :fishing1:
You forget about migration on the big river when the furthest ‘my’ fish can go is three miles between the mills!

As much as I am tempted to have a try around Hereford (and the roach possibilities seem mind-boggling) we do like it at Bredwardine (Rob’s second home) so we will give that a try.

We can normally find a spot to winkle something out.

I’ll keep you updated! Thanks all.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I hope you have a successful trip wherever you fish Phil.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Tight lines Phil :fishing1: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “River Wye”