New Year, first visit to the Wye

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Sion
Bleak

New Year, first visit to the Wye

Post by Sion »

This new years day, I decided to curtail my journey from visiting family in North Wales to home, by a first time visit to the banks of the River Wye.

Following much planning, advice and guidance by fellow forum members (thanks Dave) & Google Maps, I identified a suitable spot and was able navigate my route across the seemly never-ending country lanes off the A49. Though highly anticipated, I set myself expectations that conditions would be difficult at this time of year, but I would give it a try!

Arriving in the area just after midday, I was taken aback by the beauty of the surrounding view. Rolling hillsides, divided into quilt-like patterns by hedgerows and lanes. From the bank side, not a building or road in sight. The only sign of life, a Shepard and his sheepdog herding their flock in the next field.

The weather, however, was cold, windy and the vast waters of the Wye, fast flowing and wider than I had imagined. It's banks high, steep and rather treacherous at this time of year.

With limited suitable swims available, I settled on an open stretch, behind a sub-merged Salmon Croy. Although, at least a metre below the surface, the flow was calmed and I imagined there may be a deep pool offering fish a tranquil rest. My feeders appeared to hold onto the bottom, although I did lose one in a snag.

Three drakes, courting a duck by demonstrating their diving prowess in the direction of my cheese paste balls.

As the light faded early, the heavens opened and the woodland behind came to life with hooting of owls and the murder of crows (not literally). Pheasants uttering loud alarm calls, telling me it was to time to leave.

The next day, my arrival at the bank side was somewhat delayed, the innkeeper still resting in his crib and subsequently serving breakfast 30 minutes late. However, the skies were clear, cold to start but the forecast for the day was mild (hurrah!). Arriving at the same stretch, the water appeared calmer, offering better prospects for the day ahead.

A fellow angler pitched at a swim I had identified the previous day, next to an overhanging willow tree. A friendly chap, who had just arrived himself (darn that sleepy innkeeper!), offering advice on suitable swims, aswell as some of his bait. Later in the day, he kindly called my boy over to show a mighty Wye pike that he had just landed (a splendid 20 pound beast of a fish).

Further downstream, I managed to find a good spot, with low lying banks, although very slippery underfoot. This was resolved by the laying of branches, twigs and dry leaves (referred to for the rest of the day as 'the nest that I built'). We decided to focus on dead-baiting for pike in the deep pool in front of me, since those ducks had taken my cheese balls on the previous day.

The conditions were good for all, including the local rowing club, a robin who kept checking up on us and a kingfisher darting upstream.

No fish but an enjoyable trip.

Thank you for reading.

Sion

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: New Year, first visit to the Wye

Post by Mark »

Lovely right up and pictures Sion, at least you were out there.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks for sharing your account Sion, I enjoyed reading that.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

All about being there :cheers:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I did feel for you Sion, the conditions became extremely difficult over the new year so I figured you'd struggle. Not to worry, you've seen the river with a scowl on her face, next time you visit it may just be smiling..... but those banks don't get any get treacherous :)

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Very nice report and photos.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “River Wye”