Info. for first attempt at the Wye during festive period

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Sion
Bleak

Info. for first attempt at the Wye during festive period

Post by Sion »

During the festive period, I am considering a break from my long journey between North Wales and Sussex to cast into the waters of the River Wye.

My son and I have often talked about it, with dreams of catching our first river Barbel and battling Chub.

I understand that conditions may be difficult, very challenging and the banks should be approached with caution at this time of year.

However, I am willing to give it a try. I was wondering whether anyone could offer any tips and would very much appreciate if you could PM me with information of any recommended day ticket stretches.

We would be targeting Barbel and Chub and would also be interested in any good Pike areas.

Thanks

Sion

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Info. for first attempt at the Wye during festive period

Post by Kingfisher »

Hopefully Dave Burr should see this soon Sion, he's the man to speak to. The upper Wye is no good for Barbel. Hay on Wye back toward Hereford is about your best bet.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Dave..., Dave...,DAVE?

I am pretty certain he will be along shortly (Dave Burr lives close to the Wye at Bredwardine).

In his absence however, just a few thoughts from me. I assume that you are aware of the Red Lion water AKA the Moccas Fishery, but if not search that on the net at a place called Bredwardine. As Kingfisher says, it is below Hay on Wye. There is a lot of water here of all kinds (somewhere to fish regardless of the river conditions). It is no longer the prolific fishery for barbel that it was ten, fifteen years ago but plenty to go after and lots of chub. It is also a stunning place to visit. There are good pike too and it regularly produces something in the upper twenty/low thirty bracket.

Moving down toward Hereford, Woodys Tackle Shop is a great place for up-to-date free flowing advice and he will put you onto plenty of fish on day ticket water. The swims will be a bit worn though near and in the City centre.

There are many stretches available through the Wye and Usk Association and I suspect, and from what I read, probably equally as stunning as the Moccas Fishery and perhaps more barbel-prolific. I haven't had the time to explore personally. Search out again on the Internet.

If you decide on Bredwardine then let us know here and I can give you some pointers. I know every inch of the bank intimately although would in all circumstances defer to Dave (as he has taken knowledge of the water and tactics to another level and beyond).

Oh, and good luck, it is a truly stunning place!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Not sure I can live up to a billing like that but I'll pm you shortly :Scared:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

What's the worst that could happen?

This one was last Xmas at Bredwardine and we caught some chub, even with a fair few feet on!

Believe it or not, on this Xmas I also got some fish!

But this frozen River Wye, about three years ago at Xmas, sent Rob and myself straight to the bar...!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

There's always a chance whatever the weather. I've had plenty of chub when the river has been lipping the banks and even landed a minute grayling when the banks were covered in snow and there was ice in the margins. Enjoying it is another question :Happy:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

"I'll be glad when I've had enough of this!" As FJT famously said!

Sion
Bleak

Post by Sion »

Thanks for all advice.

By all accounts, it will indeed be 'a challenge' and the prospects of my first Barbel may have to wait until another time.

However, the circumstances are otherwise favourable; being not too far off my route, "Mrs Sion" away for a few days and a 2 week break from work (hurray).

Unless the weather makes it impossible, my intentions are to head for the Red Lion stretch.

I promise to report back with my stories and photos from my experience.

Cheers all.

Sion.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Neil blanked by I had a grayling....

We must have been mad :Happy:

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

My sons two have kindly bought me a 3 day excursion to the Red Lion Hotel at Bredwardine for some barbel fishing in June for my 60th birthday. I have never fished the Wye and as you can imagine I'm really looking forward to it. Just need a few tips on methods and swim locations for the best chance of catching if anyone can help please?

Return to “River Wye”