The wye through Hereford

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Homer Simpson
Grayling

The wye through Hereford

Post by Homer Simpson »

I visited a good friend who lives in Hereford at the weekend.
I took him fishing last year and he has got the bug and has bought some second hand tackle from a friend. Most is quite serviceable but he needs a float rod.

We walked through the town to the river, the stretch between road bridges opposite the boat club looks very tasty and is ten minute bike ride from his house. Looks ideal for running a stick down about two rod lengths out.
I have suggested he goes to the nearest tackle shop and find out which clubs own the rights and then fish one or two pegs regularly until “he gets it” . Then he could spread his wings further out.

Anyone know this water and what club run it?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: The wye through Hereford

Post by Dave Burr »

Hereford and District AA run it Homer. If your friend goes into Woody's tackle shop he'll sort him out with everything he needs and all the information to go with it.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:02 pm Hereford and District AA run it Homer. If your friend goes into Woody's tackle shop he'll sort him out with everything he needs and all the information to go with it.
Cheers Dave, I was most impressed with the excellent fishing platforms.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

H&DAA is such great value for money, it fishes best from Sept-Mar, it is particularly low & clear for the start of the new season.

Happy to walk the banks and show your friend around, I walk it most days with the dog.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Thanks Paul,

I think he needs to find out the basics first.
For instance he wanted to know if his beachcaster would be ok down the river.
Actually he has bought, albeit unknowingly, some decent sea tackle. On Saturday I sorted out the bits he has so he can now see what is ok for the river and what he needs, which is basically a float rod. I have given him a few John Wilson how to books.

I took him to my club pond last September set him up and he had a good time pulling out small perch.
He tells me he has been twice to some local commercial, but obviously I tried to steer him towards the wye. He was amazed when I told him people travel hundreds of miles to fish what he has on his doorstep. So I think I have sown the seeds.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

My advice is to walk, watch and talk to the anglers, most will be happy to offer advice..

I fish the section you spoke of during the autumn & winter, keep a look out for a baldy with Dave the dog

Return to “River Wye”