Abbey gardens cornmill stream

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Tizer
Chub

Re: Abbey gardens cornmill stream

Post by Tizer »

Corneybury wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:30 pm Not sure if I answered this or not. You go along the Nazeing Road from Waltham Abbey, and go down Fishers Green Lane which is on the left about 2 miles from WA. Park in the car park at the end of the lane and walk through the steel gates. Walton’s Walk Fishery is by the car park and through the gates. There is a weir about 1 mike down which is supposed to have nice barbel in it although I have yet to contact one. Good luck!
And perch,But I was there today(my daughter was in that run for cancer) and what did I see? A family of eastern europeans fishing along that beautiful stretch of river,mum dad uncle and 3 kids all spinning,not a landing net/unhooking mat in site,like I have said before the Lea valley is a beautiful place to walk your dog or watch the birds/ducks,but that is it :Angry:

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

Alas, there is not enough manpower to bailiff the stretch properly, and this sort of thing is all too common in the Lea Valley

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/co ... tons-walk/

Marking the start of the FRC (flood relief channel) at Ware, the channel is incorporated into the Lee Navigation. It flows through Hardmead Lock and Stanstead Lock, which have had automatic sluice gates installed to cope with high water levels. At Feildes Weir a parallel channel has been constructed. The channel then skirts the 120-acre (49 ha) Glen Faba Lake and passes under Dobbs Weir Road before entering the North Lagoon of the Nazeing Meads lake complex and leaving at the South Lagoon at Nazeing Weir. Continuing under Nazeing Road (B194), the channel flows through the River Lee Country Park at Holyfield Lake and out through Holyfield Weir. Flowing under Stubbins Hall Lane, it merges with the old River Lea at Fishers Green. After skirting Seventy Acres Lake and then Hooks Marsh Lake, the channel is incorporated into the Horsemill Stream, also known as Waltons Walk. The water forms a natural boundary for the Royal Gunpowder Mills as it passes through the mechanically controlled radial gates of the David Stoker sluice near Waltham Abbey. Now flowing parallel with the Lee Navigation, and only yards apart, the channel flows firstly under the A121 road and through Rammey Marsh Sluice - a set of three computer-controlled vertical lift sluice gates and then under the M25 motorway to be joined by Cobbins Brook before flowing through Newman's Sluice - a set of four computer-controlled vertical lift sluice gates.

I too was totally confused by the Lee Valley Park description!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Is it obligatory to carry a landing net or unhooking mat? Do the bylaws of the permit to fish or the rod licence state that they should? See below:-
""Restrictions
Three rods per angler. Poles are prohibited on this fishery. No fishing from the Eastern bank of the Flood Relief Channel (Highbridge Street Disabled Site) with this permit.""

Only playing devil's advocate as when mobile spinning for smaller predators I seldom carry an unhooking mat and occasionally no net. I unhook in the water if possible.

Whilst we would like every angler to be considerate - not all are!

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

I was told by the bailiff at the Grand Weir, Fishers Green, that it was required to carry an unhooking mat, and despite being a fully paid up member of Ware AS and also voluntary conservation warden for Fishers Green, he asked me to leave. I objected as I was only catching small silver fish and had no need of an unhooking mat, but he was as having none of it. A real jobsworth...

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

"""NB: all fish must be returned alive into the venue from which they are caught.""" Just found this hidden of the Lee Valley website!

If it is in the Rules you must be prepared to obey them. Fishers Green Consortium General Rule 14 applies? I have to comply if/when I fish somewhere with that requirement!

But there is a good way of being a Bailiff - or alternately a "jobsworth"!!

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

True. I complained to the other bailiffs on the volunteers committee about this, and they agreed that my man was being over zealous

Return to “River Lea”