Lee Flood Relief Channel

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Corneybury
Dace

Lee Flood Relief Channel

Post by Corneybury »

Has anyone fished this, and if so what results? The reason for my question is that during a U3A guided walk around Glen Faba lake, a week or so ago on a hot day, we crossed a bridge over the Relief Channel, and saw a large shoal of carp patrolling the surface, and basking in the sun. The largest was a meaty 20lber (in my opinion). Of course these things happen when you don't have a rod with you...

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Lee Flood Relief Channel

Post by Lea Dweller »

Hello David, I have seen over the years reports of specimen carp being landed from the relief channel. It definitely holds some specimens of several species, but locating them is the key. I believe Terry Hearn did an article some years ago showing some of the carp that he had caught, but it is a big water and very heavily weeded in places, so I think that you would need to spend some time trying to locate the fish.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

I might be wrong but I think the relief that Terry Hearn fished was further down at fishers green,indeed when I lived in cheshunt I took my missus over there and we saw two massive carp which both were upper 30's when we stood on the bit where the water spills over the shelve from Landridge/hollyfields/top lake(all the same lake) into the relief.I think the relielf you are talking about is behind Fields weir which used to belong to W.G.C angling club,it runs down to dobbs weir and truesport fishing club took it over(which I was a member of until 2 years ago) At the time it was FULL of crayfish ,I fished it a few times and I never saw anyone else on there,BUT as with every bit of water in the lea valley it has been hit hard by EES, :Cry:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

That was where Terry Hearn was fishing (at Fishers Green) and his second book (I think) gives a very good account of that.

I suspect there are some monster, untapped, fish in parts of the Releif Channel; who dares wins (Rodney)!

I once watched a monster (potential record?) barbel in Langridge Lake at the other end, where the channel spilled into the lake. I wish now I had spent some time trying for it. At the time it was right under the grill and wouldn't drop back in the daytime for anything! I suspect a carpet of bait under darkness would have done it but I wasn't brave enough...
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I bow to your superior knowledge chaps, I only know tthat the relief channel has massive potential"
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

When I lived in Tottenham/Edmonton/Cheshunt the valley was my playground for 50 years.Happy days If anyone remembers the north met,I lived across the road from it.I remember going to work every morning and having to turn left at the end of my road,when the met was straight on,boy was that hard.Does anyone remember the police pit :Cry:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Tizer wrote:When I lived in Tottenham/Edmonton/Cheshunt the valley was my playground for 50 years.Happy days If anyone remembers the north met,I lived across the road from it.I remember going to work every morning and having to turn left at the end of my road,when the met was straight on,boy was that hard.Does anyone remember the police pit :Cry:
I fished the North Met Pit quite a lot in the eighties and nineties. We would generally fish down at the 'fingers' end, for tench in the summer and pike in the winter (when they herded the fry in there, it was great fishing!). I recall a June 16th midnight start and having to drag all my gear down the towpath in sweltering heat to get there!

I took an inflatable boat out on it one closed season and we spent a whole day drifting and rowing around. This was before the big carp were really discovered by the long-stay anglers and we saw some crackers. One highlight was what appeared to be (in crystal clear water) beneath the 'boat' a monster crucian! That was (maybe still is?) an incredible water!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Corneybury
Dace

Post by Corneybury »

What is EES Tizer?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Correct about TH and the carp in the Relief Channel. This lower section was run for many years by RMC/Leisure Sport/CEMEX and is found at the end of Stubbins Hall Lane, Waltham Abbey.

Permits are available from a member club of the Fishers Green Consortium. Apart from carp it holds/held monster chub over 9lb. The permit also cover s the adjoining R. Lee and gravel pits containing both double figure barbel & tench.
Last edited by Olly on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Totman
Minnow

Post by Totman »

Used to fish it many years ago [50] when fishers green was in flood barbel would move into relief channel by greenhouses .Would imagine greenhouses just below footbridge long gone, always plenty of sport lure fishing for pike ..

Return to “River Lea”