Abu lures

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Davyr

Re: Abu lures

Post by Davyr »

Gotcha! The mystery lures appear to be Heddon Sonics (or copies of them?):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heddon-SONIC-fi ... 4607032a79

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I've no idea wether they'd catch, but I love those little guys!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

davyr wrote:Gotcha! The mystery lures appear to be Heddon Sonics (or copies of them?):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heddon-SONIC-fi ... 4607032a79
Their the ones davyr, thanks :thumb:
scottt wrote:The 2 bottom ones look like a lure that was called the 'Klatter Kat' it should rattle if you shake it, i bought one of these in about 76 i've no idea how or if it works as i lost it first cast!!! There were several companys making this type of lure, i remember the Klatter Kat because i saved up to buy one and then to loose it instantly still grieves me 35+yrs later.
Is this the one you had scott ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-New-2-75-Fi ... 3f1a769297

Scott Thompson

Post by Scott Thompson »

They seem to be a modern version the one i had looked more like the ones in the original picture. My first ever Pike was caught on a woolworths copy of a creek chub, black with white spots i ended up swapping it for an intrepid black prince.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I thought I would revive this thread. I'm sure there must be a few ABU lure enthusiasts on TFF.

With most of ABU tackle no longer manufactured in Sweden, the quality has dropped which is not what many ABU customers want. I anticipated that original ABU lures would become desirable and started collecting a few not only because I thought they would keep their value but also because they are things of beauty and so nostalgic.

I posted a picture of some ABU spoons in the past but I recently photographed a larger selection shown below -

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Those 1970's Tight Lines catalogues had a distinctive smell all of their own!

How beautifully the lures were made, how expensive they seemed to be, and how gutted I felt every time I lost one.

Even the evocative names of the lures. Some which once graced my tackle box were the Atom, Flamingo, Salar, Reflex, Droppen, Hi-Lo and Toby, all sadly gone except for a battered Toby which I use as a keyring - minus treble hooks, of course.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

About 1959 I bought an ABU Little Wiggley in copper and a Little Tylo which was silver and copper. I still have the Wiggley but the Tylo was my very favourite Lure and I caught a lot of fish on it before getting it stuck on the bottom of Hornsea Mere. I'm sure it's still there.

It was the desire to yet again own a Little Tylo which got me on the slippery slope. The Little Tylos are middle left in the picture. They are very effective fish catchers and were the forerunner to the famous Toby.
Last edited by Phil Arnott on Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I just enlarged your picture Phil and a pike came through the window and bit the screen. Damned effective the old Abu's :Thumb:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Ah the Lil' Tylo - such a favourite that I named my boat after them. The Reflex has caught me plenty of big perch, and the smaller silver Toby is the 'go to' for sea trout in the sea. There was another ....was it Lil' Oringen?

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Liphook wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:27 pmThere was another ....was it Lil' Oringen?
That's the same as a Little Wiggley. It has been discontinued but is fairly common. I think the Tylo was discontinued in the seventies and is not so commonly found.

The lure I found effective for both bass and sea trout was the 18g Koster. I suspect the smaller Krill 7g or 12g would also be a good sea trout lure. These now sell for about £10 in good condition.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”