Bird of prey floats

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Duckett
Tench

Bird of prey floats

Post by Duckett »

I’ve always had a fascination with birds of prey. I read Kes as a child at a time when the playing fields behind my Middle School had a Kestrel regularly hunting on them. A few years ago I was completely captivated when I had the great privilege of seeing a Golden Eagle in flight at the northern end of the Isle of Arran.

So, when a few months ago Ian Lewis of Handmade Fishing Floats held an auction for sets of floats made from bird of prey feathers, I just had to enter. Ian did this as a fundraiser for a bird of prey centre in Somerset, so it helped that the cause was an excellent one. Anything that increases public understanding of these wonderful birds has to be worthwhile. Apparently, collecting cast off feathers from these birds is not easy, even for those who care for them. So, only 12 sets were available.

To my surprise I won and today my set arrived. From top to bottom they are: Golden Eagle, Peregrine Falcon and Eagle Owl (with Oak Gall).

Of course, the real question is will I use them or display them. If I use them, will I need to take my 3 CITES certificates with me!

Of course I’m going to use them!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Bird of prey floats

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I've got some buzzard feathers and quite a few other species including barn owl that I collected earlier this year. Haven't got around to making floats with them yet and when I do they won't be anywhere as good as those. They are beauties!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

They are very nice indeed Phil, I received Ian’s email regarding this fundraiser, and then like so many other things completely forgot about it - great floats - great cause and well done Sir for putting in a good amount to win a set - I hope they bring you many a fish to the bank.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Wow, what great floats. I have an eagle feather from a visit to the birds of prey centre at Newent but I can't remember which type. Was it a buzzard eagle?? :Confused: I must make a float out of it one day.
Last edited by Dave Burr on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I posted a photo a couple of years ago , a float made from a Gannet wing feather. I had hoped that it would be imbued with some extra special fish catching properties given its origins. However it has not had that many outings so I've not been able to prove or disprove its efficacy!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

What lovely looking floats !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Lovely floats Phil, I would also be reluctant to use them.

We have season tickets to the Welt Vogel Park in Walsrode, Lower Saxony,Germany and visit every year with my son and family, it is the largest Bird Park in the world and has some fantastic displays .
When visiting I collect the feathers that have been shed, and I must have lots of floats made from feathers from many exotic birds,the problem is that I dont have a clue as to which ones, when they are made it is impossible to say where they originated. It doesnt bother me so much though as they all get used and abused.

I collected one some years ago, that defies identification ( to me at least) It must be the toughest feather I have ever seen, in fact so tough I never considered making a float from it, it is as stiff as a board, except for the slimmer tip section. I could not in all honesty make a float from it, so decided to give it to the cat who loves playing and wrecking feathers, so far after about 3 years she has not managed to do any damage to it.... I would love to know which of our feathered friends shed it, but will never find out I suspect.

Every other feather eventually gets wrecked , there is just the one that defies nature .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:07 am Lovely floats Phil, I would also be reluctant to use them.

We have season tickets to the Welt Vogel Park in Walsrode, Lower Saxony,Germany and visit every year with my son and family, it is the largest Bird Park in the world and has some fantastic displays .
When visiting I collect the feathers that have been shed, and I must have lots of floats made from feathers from many exotic birds,the problem is that I dont have a clue as to which ones, when they are made it is impossible to say where they originated. It doesnt bother me so much though as they all get used and abused.

I collected one some years ago, that defies identification ( to me at least) It must be the toughest feather I have ever seen, in fact so tough I never considered making a float from it, it is as stiff as a board, except for the slimmer tip section. I could not in all honesty make a float from it, so decided to give it to the cat who loves playing and wrecking feathers, so far after about 3 years she has not managed to do any damage to it.... I would love to know which of our feathered friends shed it, but will never find out I suspect.

Every other feather eventually gets wrecked , there is just the one that defies nature .

OMR
If you do identify it, I'd like a car made of them :Thumb:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:07 am Lovely floats Phil, I would also be reluctant to use them.

OMR
That’s one seriously impressive feather David! How long is it?

Helen and I are member of the North of England Zoological Society - posh for Chester Zoo - and I’d guess that could match the Vultures they have!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Phil, just measured , it is 16 inches in proper measurement. I dont know how it could be identified really, no doubt some boffin would know or find out, if I did know it would somehow lose a bit of its mystique .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”