Can anybody identify these old floats please?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Can anybody identify these old floats please?

Post by Olly »

I have not sold any rods - apart from a couple glass bass/heavy pike rods - for years.

I never buy to sell - unless it really is not what I want or would use when it arrives! Hence an Allcocks Adonis went off to find a new owner.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Sorry if my earlier comment disappointed you Stunner, I was just being frank. But, knowing just how many floats you got and what you paid, I reckon you've got value for money and I doubt you will ever need to buy another float for your own fishing. Plus you can bundle some and sell then as already stated above.

Matchmen often knocked up pretty basic looking floats but they worked. I used to use plastic drinking straws with the ends sealed. They made really good 2AAA wagglers, my float of choice on most of the venues I fished at the time but I didn't get any offers to sell them from other anglers :Happy:

When you start dabbling with old rods, reels, floats books etc, it's easy to make a few early errors. We've all done it but you learn as you go and there's always a bargain comes your way eventually.

Enjoy your floats. think about the time and effort that went into making them and if one get's hung up in a tree - pick another out of your box and carry on. :Thumb:

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Any idea of the name of the match angler?

Stunner1901
Stickleback

Post by Stunner1901 »

DaceAce wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:05 pm Any idea of the name of the match angler?
I haven't i'm afraid

The lady who sold them just said he was a champion match angler so knew it must be good stuff

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

So many "Champion" match anglers - club - league - open - Div. 1, 2, 3, - - etc.

Any idea where he came from?

I have used floats like that from 70's - 80's - still usable, in fact still have some like them that I use regularly, esp the double rubber balsas.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I don't recognise any of those floats as commercial offerings, but there's some fine work gone into them. Anyone who's made their own floats will know that..getting things straight so they cast well was always my problem.

Just think how much work went into those...hundreds and hundreds of hours!

They may not be what you hoped, but they are still pretty special.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”