Float makers of yore

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Float makers of yore

Post by Nobby »

I came across this list of float makers licensed to import plumage from 1928 when boning up on W.Martin James:

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hans ... bition-act

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Float makers of yore

Post by Harry H »

Very interesting Nobby thanks for posting, looking at the list I think it would be for fly tying rather than floats but who's to say they didn't use quill part for floats after they'd finished with the plumes. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Very interesting .I wonder if the earlier demand for plumage in fashion ie hats and bowers beloved of the Victorian/Edwardians promoted regulation. Compared to that demand a few flies ,even thousands would not make endangerment of avian breeds..Comment invited. :Confused: Tony

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Certain members of the Asian pheasant family are rare, very rare and some nearly or maybe even extinct!

Remember that the Great Crested Grebe was hunted to almost extinction in Victorian times due to hatters using their "ear" feathers.

I don't think men had much use of feathers in their hats - preferring salmon and trout flies! You cannot get many floats from a jungle cock cape or any cape I can think of!

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

I'm not sure if this link will work, but maybe of interest..

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

it does work!

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I would think that many of those importing the plumage were for the manufacturing of flies rather than floats.

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Post by Splitcaner »

I was recently given a large number of old floats, quite a few are named Harcork being the most obvious. There are about eight of these in various sizes including a nice slider float.
The reason I am asking is there are also some names I have not heard of, there are two Denton which I think I have heard of, two La Maison and one Lytnin which I have never heard of and dont seem to be able to find anything either.
I have also been given some plastic floats which are flat at the top then taper down to a pinched bottom with the hole in. I already have a number of these they are all the same colour red top and white bottom. Can anyone shed any light on these floats please.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Pictures would help Splitcaner. The plastic ones might be of French origin, Allcocks were selling some in the Sixties.

I have seen a La Maison float once and I'm sure there's mention of them on here somewhere?

Harcork we finally know about. It had been a mystery for ages .... nobody knew who made them. Jeff Della Mura even offered a £50 reward in his book Hooked on Floats, if someone could supply the answer.

Then one day I found an image of a card of them identifying the maker in a catalogue. Donald Harvey

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”