Float makers of yore

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Float makers of yore

Post by Santiago »

The ones with the red tops that taper down to a pinched bottom sound like celluloid floats (an early plastic). But without pics!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

These from a 1938 Sowerbutts catalogue.
Wadhams seem to be the makers of the celluloid floats. According to Wikipedia they had 250 mainly celluloid floats in their 1921 catalogue.

Wal.
ImageImage

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Post by Splitcaner »

Thanks Nobby. Not very good at sending photos had problems before, will scan forum to see if there is any mention of La Maison floats. Thanks again John.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:18 am Very interesting .I wonder if the earlier demand for plumage in fashion ie hats and bowers beloved of the Victorian/Edwardians promoted regulation. Compared to that demand a few flies ,even thousands would not make endangerment of avian breeds..Comment invited. :Confused: Tony
I seem to remember Mark Cocker in one or his books mentioning that Common Cranes were hunted to extiction in the Yare Valley, Norfolk due to demand for the plumage from the hat industry.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”