Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Tonytoned »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:08 pm These are the lures that Peter Stone used to own. I bought quite a few but these all had traces attached or teeth marks which meant that he's actually used them. I presented them in cases - badly - and they've all had a good shaking since then so, compared to Phil's displays they look..... well, crap.

Imagine history and the story these lures could tell. Superb Dave

:Thumb:

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Santiago wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:55 pm Image

As promised, the top two are Renosky Lunkers in small and medium, and the other soft bodied spinners are mepps. The Renosky lures are the most catchable that I have ever used. Not that old though, they only date back to the mid nineties!
Am I right in saying the bodies on these spinners eliminate line twist?

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:42 pm Phil, do you think you will ever run out of lures? :Chuckle:
I know I have a problem Dave, fortunately I'm not totally alone in this. It's a fairly common affliction.

I have been thinking lately I should be passing on some of my tackle while I can. I might have to have a stall at Redditch when we get rid of this awful virus.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Yes, they run true!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:03 pm
Gord wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:59 pm if you are on about the jitterbug top water lure they are brilliant to use as they can raise fish from shallow to quite deep water and when they hit them it is like an eruption they are great fun
They also attract alligators -see teeth marks :shocked:

:Hide:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Santiago wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:10 pm Image

Frogs, and other top water lures like the Sputterbug. Love the names! Moss boss, Hedon Crazy Crawler, Jitterbugs, and Rebel Frogs.
Think I've got a bit of catching up to do. It's excellent seeing all these collections.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:22 pm Other lures in my collection include a surface selection

My searching lures - spinner baits and crank baits that really cover some ground and attract quick responses. As you can see, the spinner bait skirts have nearly all rotted and need replacing. Alongside is a mixture of spinners and lures and above them is a big copper spoon that Bob Church gave me thus ensuring I'll never risk using it. He was having great success on his old ones at the time so had a load produced.

Some divers

And I always have spoons in my bag when lure fishing the Wye :Wink:

Ondex anyone?

I seem to have amassed a few..

Wow! That is some collection Dave. It's great seeing all these lures.

:Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tonytoned wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:45 pm

Beware - there's always room for extra lures and they are probably more alluring than floats - and we've all got too many of them. Walk around a Bass Pro shop in America and the draw of so many attractive bits and pieces is way too hard to refuse. Yet nowadays, when I lure fish, I carry a bucket with about eight or so lures hooked over the lip and they will more than do me for a day. I wouldn't be surprised if Phil isn't much the same. Like flies for trout, there are those that catch fish and the rest catch anglers.

But everybody needs to take a pike with a surface lure - it's great. :Ok:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:13 pm
Tonytoned wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:45 pm

Beware - there's always room for extra lures and they are probably more alluring than floats - and we've all got too many of them. Walk around a Bass Pro shop in America and the draw of so many attractive bits and pieces is way too hard to refuse. Yet nowadays, when I lure fish, I carry a bucket with about eight or so lures hooked over the lip and they will more than do me for a day. I wouldn't be surprised if Phil isn't much the same. Like flies for trout, there are those that catch fish and the rest catch anglers.

But everybody needs to take a pike with a surface lure - it's great. :Ok:
I know its like a moth being attracted to light, I'd love to be able to go to one of the NFLCC meetings. I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop. Like you say Dave it's like having a favourite item of fishing tackle and for what works best on the end of the line. Hopefully once this horrible virus has eased or cleared completely I will give surface fishing for Pike ago, nearer the winter.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I once placed a good selection of spoons around the rim of a bucket (inside) for lure fishing from my punt. I made many casts with a big copper spoon without any luck so time came for a change of lure. But when I looked at the buckets rim out of about 10 spoons there was only two left. Then realised that the missing spoons were draping from my trousers. Never again have I used a bucket inside that way!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”